Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptors on Alcohol? Thoughts....

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2003, 12:57 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptors on Alcohol? Thoughts....

Let's talk about this topic. I have never seen one Rappy on alky (good sounding phrase!) What would the downsides and upsides? What all would have to be done to do it? Reliabilty? How easy to switch back to gas? I seem to see alot of DS650s at Waynoka on alcohol, why no Raptors? I want to do something to my motor, but I am only 15 and don't have a job yet. I owe my parents something like $1400 (speeding ticket, fender bender, and Yoshi exhaust). I really really really want to find a job this summer so I can pay them back and get a Craycraft 686 (SWEET). How would one of these run on alky? Hey 14mins, have you tried this? Just wondering. Thanks alot for any replies.
Wall Street

Old 04-16-2003, 02:06 PM
Pro Rider

I've been running alky for a while now. You need high compression to run it. Some up's of it are it produces more power (usually, i've seen a lot of bikes that simply will not run right on it) Also it burns cooler than gasoline so your bike runs cooler. Now for the downside, there are a lot more of these lol. Methanol attracts moisture like Michael Jackson attracts little kids. It's also corrosive so you need to flush the fuel system with regular gas after you run it. You have to change the oil alot more often, like after every ride. It takes approx 150% more alky to run the engine than it takes gas, so no riding any kind of distance from your fuel source. I have to run no main jets and custom drilled pilots and needle seats to supply enough fuel. Basically unless you are a hard core drag racer, and do nothing but that I would stick to gas.

Old 06-10-2003, 07:12 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

OK TX, how big is are your pilots? What did you do to the needle and seat? HOW BIG??? I am going to try and run jets, I can work that out. Did you do anything to aid in the flow from the tank to the carbs? Remove the screen in the tank, drill the petcock, ??????

Anybody else have some comments? Just looking for some help.
TIA

Old 06-10-2003, 08:06 AM
Pro Rider

I don't reccomend alcohol on Raptors, thats how I separated my sholder. Stick to water or Gatoraid.

Old 06-10-2003, 01:21 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Wallstreet- You have seen at least one rappy on alky. At snake hunt Dugan from Kansa was a 686 on alky. We were trading wins but he is slightly faster than mine. I did run alky 2 weeks ago and will in the future (on stock carbs) when i get it dialed in right. Until then i am running 107 octane and playing with a extra set of stock carbs. I do not expect to be on alky for the june races down here but you never know.

Old 06-10-2003, 01:55 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Ward,

You got something for me yet??? I keep seeing you adding stuff to your Rappy! LOL. Your not WORRIED are you?

Mark, If you get that alky sorted out, you will never go back to gas! except for when you go to Kermit, definatley need the fuel mileage thier.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Also, I can get decent feul mileage out of my 45mm(single), but the Duals? OH MAMMA! I get 2 miles per gallon! and its WORTH IT!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img].

Dugans 686, run very-well on alky, but it runs better when he mixes some of that HOT stuff with it!

BIggerisbetter.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 06-10-2003, 04:24 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Dugans 686, run very-well on alky, but it runs better when he mixes some of that HOT stuff with it!
You don't worry about what I'm doing, but I do have some of that HOT stuff for that Bull!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]