Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Kenda Gecko's VS Skat-Trak Edge

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2003, 11:43 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kenda Gecko's VS Skat-Trak Edge

As you know theres a big price difference between these tires. Are the Edge worth the price? Do they outperform the geckos by that much? Please reply if you have experience with these tires. Im not intrested in Haulers because I want a V Shaped paddle for better turning, I dont to that much dragracing at the dunes.

Current ww.rockymountainatv.com prices

EDGE 20x10x10 8paddles on ITP T9 $247.00
Geckos 21x11x10 on ITP T9 $152.00

Old 04-17-2003, 12:02 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

havent used my geckos yet ,,,,but I only paid $76 on ebay,,,brand new

Old 04-17-2003, 12:04 PM
Pro Rider

Don't overlook the sand skate 2's ($77 bucks at RMATV) . They are an excellent all around sand tire. Edges and sand skate 2's are much better than the gecko's!....

Old 04-17-2003, 12:50 PM
Pro Rider

I have 20-10-10 8 paddle Edges and have had them for about a year but probably only used about 6 times. The paddles are starting to separate on both tires. Really angers me because they were like $230. I had planned on buying geckoes but they were very new at the time and noone had them in stock so I got the edges. I do not like Geckoes simply because I raced a Raptor that had almost the exact mods that I have and unless the sand conditions were just right all he would do is dig holes and bury himself. If I could go back and buy new ones I would probably buy eXtreme Haulers, but since you want a V paddle, I would recommend either Sand Skate 2's or Sand Sharks. This is what I would reccommend.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-17-2003, 01:14 PM
Pro Rider

Get the Edges. Well worth the money compared to the geckos. The best tire that i think you would like would be the Sand Skate 1 by STU. I dont know why every place that sells STU has the sand skate 2's only. Ive owned both. The sand skate 2's are good but nowhere to the 1's. Both STU tires probably weigh less than 1 V gecko. I know my STU padla brats on rims are lighter than one straight paddle gecko not on a rim (we actually measured) In the sand you want the least amount of weight on your wheels. Maybe if you got a groover and took a lot of rubber off those geckos they could do something.

The skat track edge would be my next choice. Skat tracks are almost as light and have a lower price than the STU's. Skat traks are cheap tires in my mind. They are the best bang for the buck. My freind has them on his 400z. I was suprised how large of a roost those edges throw.

So go with the edge, or if you can find a cheap pair of STU skate 1's go with that. heavy crappy cheap tires will slow you down more than anything. I want to do a comparison between stock tires and cheap paddles. I would put my money on the stock tires in the sand over the geckos. The straight ones anyways. The v's do feel slightly lighter.

Old 04-17-2003, 02:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

Riznaptor, What do you mean by "Straight Geckos" there is only one type of Kenda Gecko Tire and its a V shape. I thing the Straight paddle you are refering to is the GBC Paddle master. Which are VERY heavy, see links below;

Paddle Master

Gecko

Old 04-17-2003, 03:37 PM
Range Rover

My son uses geckos on a built blaster and they work excellent !!!! run em at 4-5 psi and they hook up great. They are not a serious drag race tire but a very good all around dune tire. He makes it up some of the big stuff in oregon. compared to sand sharks they hook up better tho not as good as the hauler...(they do not delaminate like a skat either). I have skats on my banshee and 250R which need the added traction. I feel these are the best sand tire for the money. Read the recent write ups on the gecko's. Everyone has an opinion tho and different areas can effect your ability to hook up, hence one design may work better in one area and not so good at another. But for recreational riding they have woked well on this machine.

Old 04-17-2003, 03:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

Im also thinking about getting Dune Tracker fronts when I order the tires. Or I could get a set of AC Nerfs for about the same price. Im working with a limited budget here, so which do you think would be more useful? Do the Dune fronts make that much difference in steering/handling? Or should i go with the nerfs?

Old 04-17-2003, 04:12 PM
Range Rover

I ran a raptor in the dunes for a year or so and did fine with stock fronts, the raptor handles just fine without them. If it is a stock raptor I would definately recomend geckos, I used haulers and I think they were a bit too much tire for a stock raptor(O.K. let the flaming begin-no insult intended.*Remember this is for rec riding on a budget*) Read the recent report on a raptor with geckos. Just curious but why the nerf bars ?

Old 04-17-2003, 04:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

I mostley do trail riding in the woods and some jumps every now and then. From what I hear Nerfs help you axle from getting caught on trees in tight woods riding, and if your feet slip off the pegs during a jump. Plus they look cool!!

Quick Reply: Kenda Gecko's VS Skat-Trak Edge