Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Kenda Gecko's VS Skat-Trak Edge

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2003, 05:01 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kenda Gecko's VS Skat-Trak Edge

I finally broke down and bought the STU Razorbacks up front and they work great. They are light and have great flotation on the sand. I noticed a big improvement over the stock front tire. Granted, the stockers work fine, but I like the razorbacks much better for the dunes.

I've got the STU Sand Skate 2s (V-paddles) on the rear and for a stock motor they work well in general. Not as light as the skat traks but not as fragile either.

Old 04-17-2003, 05:07 PM
Pro Rider

I have the Geckos and they work fine. They are not best for drag racing but they still do pretty good. Lots of people blame the geckos for losing races, but it is the rider also. The whoops keep me from winning some races. I also ran the geckos at the cinders and they held up great!

Bottom line, if you go to the dunes alot, consider getting the best tire that fits your needs and price. If you are not going to go to the dunes that often, go with the least expensive but with some quality which probably would be the geckos.

Old 04-17-2003, 06:33 PM
Pro Rider

I tried the Gecko's on a 400 EX, they seemed fine. I know the Raptor is stronger, I just bought a pair of SS2's and will be trying them at Glamis this weekend. On another note, I tried a pair of old Dune Sliders on my Rap, the first time I went to the dunes. They worked OK, but didn't do anything really impressive and I experienced a lot of wheel spin and ate up a few paddles. The next trip out I ran the stock tires and noticed absolutley no diffrence from the old thrashed Dune Sliders. My son even won some races against another piped and jetted Rap at Old's Hill with the stock tires over a guy (who did weigh more) that had paddles. Just a straight report. I'll let you know how the SS2's work, I anticipate some serious hookup[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 04-17-2003, 07:34 PM
Pro Rider

seems you are the only one who hates them King! What did Geckos ever do to you......

I guess my raptor is fast as hell,because i win more than i lose with those 40 pound weights on there..lol

Old 04-17-2003, 08:41 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: burnproof
Riznaptor, What do you mean by "Straight Geckos" there is only one type of Kenda Gecko Tire and its a V shape. I thing the Straight paddle you are refering to is the GBC Paddle master. Which are VERY heavy, see links below;

Paddle Master

Gecko
You are correct. Thats my bad. I thought they were both made by the same company. They came out about the same time and have ugly coloring on the side. Thats what happen when you assume. Like i said i thought the geckos were light because i picked up a pair at a store. So they might be decent. Those GBC's though, probably the worst paddle ever made. A freind of mine has them. I also dragged a very modded banshee, that the kid probably bought that way and he put on those GBC's. I ate him alive on my raptor. And i shouldnt have.

Old 04-17-2003, 09:44 PM
Pro Rider

The reason why the King doesn't like them is because he ran them backwards at 4SW2 as well as his NOS setup sideways. That caused him to dyno low with those tires and sideways NOS setup.

Just kidding King, just poking some fun!!!! If I can't beat'm, pick on them.