Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Split-fire Plug...does it help???

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2003, 07:20 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Split-fire Plug...does it help???

I need to change my spark plug and wanted to know which plug works the best or if anyone even notices a difference in different types of plugs?? TIA....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 04-17-2003, 09:00 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the # of electrodes has no impact on performance. You cant have 2 sparks at once, they have to alternate. The only thing that a spark plug can do is be a little bigger and stick into the combustion chamber, thereby increasing your compression, if only a small amount. Just make sure you use a quality plug and check it regularly.

Old 04-17-2003, 11:57 PM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't waste money on the Sh!tfire plugs, they don't do anything for your performance. The stock NGK is hard to beat, but you can go to the platinum or gold pallidium plugs NGK makes. The ones with the VX suffix are the platinum ones, not sure about the pallidium ones.

Old 04-18-2003, 12:01 AM
Pro Rider

I have a tesla coil and its spark will take more than one path at once (could be flashing back and forth to fast for my eyes to tell I guess). But anywho, it dont imagine it woult help unless you had a really hot coil, then it would help a touch but mostly make your plugs last longer.

BTW, automotive hot rodders add hotter coils.

Old 04-18-2003, 12:13 AM
Pro Rider

The only thing that a spark plug can do is be a little bigger and stick into the combustion chamber, thereby increasing your compression, if only a small amount.
you lost me chief.

Old 04-18-2003, 12:16 AM
Pro Rider

I tried the split-fire plug and pitched it in the trash after about 30 minutes of use, dont waste your money on them. Stay with NGK, I know they have never given me any problems.

Old 04-18-2003, 12:17 AM
Pro Rider

Don't waste your $$ on the Split Fire - they are just a bunch of hype... Stick with the NGK or go to an Autolite.. I have had good luck with those for a lot less $$..

Old 04-18-2003, 02:39 AM
Pro Rider

Hey...thanx for all the responses everyone. NGK sounds like the way to go. I'll pick some up tomorrow after work. Thanx again!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 04-18-2003, 04:53 AM
Pro Rider

Cant remember the name of it, but the auto place up the street from my house carries ATV plugs, they even have a catalog to tell you what plug ur atv takes. They know me by name though because the RD eats NGKs like an Iraqi loots. Its the one that used to be named Auto Shack.

Old 04-19-2003, 02:12 AM
Pro Rider

Most big time auto parts stores have that cross reference book that you are talking about on the plugs.... I have bought plugs from AutoZone, Advance Auto Parts, and Napa so if you go to one of those places they should be able to help you.....

Quick Reply: Split-fire Plug...does it help???