Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

WARN 424 Select for the Wolverine is awesome!

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2003, 07:46 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WARN 424 Select for the Wolverine is awesome!

95wolv try gowarn.com they show it for both, i ordered for my '03.....was told on special order from warn itself.......10-15 working days grrr!!!

Old 04-28-2003, 01:44 AM
Pro Rider

hey does anybody here know the details of drilling the clutch weights and how much of an affect it has on performance/durability/versitility. thanks

Old 04-28-2003, 09:08 AM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CT,
Drilling the clutch weights is pretty simple,the hardest part is making sure the holes are in the same spot. Drain the oil, take off the right side engine cover,and you will see the weights with the tensioning springs. you will need a needle nose locking pliers or a good grip with regular needle nose to get them loose. Keep an eye out for the little rings that go inside the pivot point on the weights,they can fall out. On the end with the fiber material,you will notice a rivet dimple,you want to drill past that as near the edge as possible (don't get too close to the edge or you will weaken the pad.) DO NOT DRILL THE RIVET !!!!! After you have carefully drilled the first weight with a 3/16 drill, use it as a template to mark the hole for the other weights,than way,all weigths will be balanced with each other. clean parts with brake cleaner spray to get all the metal shavings off,then reinstall the parts,put the cover back on (if you were careful, you can reuse the gasket). This mod will not even be noticable with stock tires, has no effect on acceleration,or top speed. The main thing is does is raise the engagement point of the clutch weights by about 400 rpm when you are bogged down,like with bigger tires in mud or climbing a tough area. If you do a lot of slow speed crawling, it can help to keep the power to the wheels in the rough,muddy stuff. The Wolverine is geared a little high to keep it sporty, so it can get bogged down with too much tire/muddy conditions. And Budman, I went to gowarn.com,also, same thing, price is TBA (to be announced) because the 95-99 unit has not been made yet.

Old 04-29-2003, 07:31 PM
Trailblazer

I just finshed installing my 424 yesterday. It is Awesome. The only thing I still need to do is put on the mounting bracket, right now the cable is run up by the handle bars. Does anyone know a better way to mount the cable other than by drilling into the plastic to attach the mount bracket? thanks

Old 04-30-2003, 11:02 PM
Trailblazer

I just installed my unlocker tonight. The only trouble I had was breaking lose the differential bolts.They must have had locktight on them. Other than that it was easy.Spike if you drill into the plastic get a little chunck of alumium drill two holes in it and put that on the inside to tighten the nuts up against. This way the bracket has more support other than just the plastic.

Old 05-01-2003, 07:10 AM
Weekend Warrior

Heres a pic i got of a cool mounting place, no need to drill any new holes

Select mounting pics

Old 05-01-2003, 10:10 AM
Trailblazer

Budman - nice spot for the mount - how do you like the system so far?

Old 05-01-2003, 10:23 AM
Trailblazer

That looks awesome Budman69. I really didn't like the looks of how they have it mounted in the instruction manual. Redneck76, I noticed that the differntial bolts were a bear to get out too. Other than that it was a very easy install.

Old 05-01-2003, 06:35 PM
Trailblazer

It seems that this is a "must have" for Wolverine owners......looks like I will be ordering one this weekend, Montana Jacks?

Old 05-01-2003, 06:52 PM
Trailblazer

Anyone thinking of getting the unlocker I would get a skidplate if you dont have one already.The housing for the unlocker is vunrable? to damage.

Quick Reply: WARN 424 Select for the Wolverine is awesome!