Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

New Raptor for the trails and woods?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2003, 10:53 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Raptor for the trails and woods?

I'm looking into a new quad to accompany my 85 honda 350X ATC on our trail rides here locally. WE run alot of logging roads and the like.We ride in alot of woods with several steep climbs and downhills as well as alot of looping turns through the pines.The trails are large enough for a polaris 500cc utility bike so I reason the raptor will fit in fine.There are alot of watercourse crossings and mudbogs as well. I am a bit concerned about all of the stories I have heard about the raptors supposed "tippiness" in tight turns and climbs. I'm looking to hear the straight facts from actuals owners. If this bike isn't suitable for the trail in the opinion of you guys that own them,what would you recommend?I want sporty power and decent handling all in one.Thats what I have in my honda trike and thats what I want in my first quad.Thanks for any informed input.

Old 04-20-2003, 11:41 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Raptor for the trails and woods?

I think it's great for trails but it is somewhat tippy if your not use to such a large quad. I'm about 5'6 140lbs and I haven't wrecked or anything on my raptor. The only reason why the raptor doesn't handle as good as some of the other quads is because it's larger and it has so much power which makes it harder to master. Once you get use to it though, you wont want to ride anything else =D If you want more of a mediocre quad with excellent handling and a decent amount of power, go with the LTZ400,KFX400, or the Honda 400ex.