Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Toomey customer service

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2003, 10:31 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Toomey customer service

I just got off the phone with toomey customer service, and I must say they are very helpful but, I am having a little trouble with jetting. To start off here is my setup: 2003 banshee with t5's, and pro design filter mounting bracket in stock box with K&N filter, with no lid.

First, Toomey said that you are suppose to use there neddles, 4 clip position, w/ 280 mains, stock pilot jets, idle mixture set @ 1 i/2 turns out from fully closed.......

Second, Alba racing said to run toomey needles, 4th clip position 300 mains, 32.5 pilots, idle screws 1 1/4 turns out..........

Third, Local Yamaha dealer said 300 mains toomey needle 4th clip postion, 32.5 pilots, idle screw 1 1/2 turns out.

It would stand to reason that Toomey should know there stuff about this pipe setup, they have been doing it for many years. I can't understand why with there setup my bike would run like crap in the midrange but, idled good, and top end was good, but crusing down the beach in 2nd & 3rd gear it sounded like it wanted to run on one cylinder......I put the lid back on and it ran much better?? Go figure.

Toomey said that a K & N filter with no lid should have the same jetting as there uni filter that comes with the kit, they even said that the uni filter flows a little more then K&N??

I really need some input on this I would appreciate any insight on this matter.

thanx,
JLew

Old 04-25-2003, 11:20 PM
Pro Rider

sorry i can't help you but i will say that it changes every altitude you at. the toomey general jetting recomendations are probably not very everywhere and same with alba. i would try all three of them and see wich one runs best. the local dealer might have the best idea being in your area. but i guess alba is in california 2 so i don't know just keep foolin around with it till you get it right...good luck

Old 04-26-2003, 02:34 AM
Pro Rider

mixture screws = low end
needle jet=====mid range
main jet======top end.

bring yer needles up one, but then if yer riding at sea level and then ride at say 1000' feet at home, well, you can have one or the other...
we ride here at 4000-6000', talk about jetting headaches!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-26-2003, 02:36 AM
Pro Rider

try www.stuart@toomey.com or it might be www.toomey.com attn stuart i forget now. but youll get 'the man' he'll help ya til its fixed. a great guy.

Old 04-26-2003, 08:22 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have the same set up as you. I used to have the UNI Filter, but took it off because I think it is junk. (More on this later) Anyway, here in my part of Indiana our elevation is about 500-700ft. We have a group of about 4 Banshee's all running the same jetting setup. Our setups are what Toomey told you. 270/280 mains, stock pilot, needle on 4th clip from the top, and we have no problems. We have to jet at least once a year for temp changes, but we are only changing the main jet so it isn't a big deal.

If you put the lid on and it ran much better, then your problem is that you are running too lean. Depending on throttle position when this condition occurs should tell you what needs changed or adjusted!

As for the UNI Filter, Toomey told me the same thing about flow rates. They said that the UNI Filter flows better than the K&N. Well, here is my horror story with the UNI. We had just come back from a weekend trip to Land Between the Lakes in Kentucky. I looked at my brand new air filter and it was pretty dirty, so I decided to clean it up. I pulled it off and to my surprise it had passes dirt through it and into my engine! Then I pulled the carbs off, (it was time to jet anyway), and there were 1/2 wide dirt trails running into each carb! I talked to all the guys that went to KY with me, all with K&N's, and they had NO dirt in their carb throats. I had only had the filter about a month and had been using Maxima foam filter oil. After talking to a local quad and motorcycle mechanic about the air filter his words were, "I have never seen a better air filter for anything than a K&N. Doesn't matter if it is a car, truck, quad, or motorcycle." So needless to say I bought a Pro Flo and a K&N. I know this is long but the moral of the story is: The UNI Filter probably does flow better than the K&N, but it doesn't appear to stop as much dirt either! I don't need a filter that flows so well as to not stop the dirt!

Dave

Old 04-26-2003, 10:29 AM
Pro Rider

I have had good service from them also, but when it comes to jetting every bike is slightly different.

Toomeys jets are for if you are using their filter, following their directions, with the lid or however they tell you too. I run pod filters with my t5's, and run a 290 main. I run at elevations from 4500-7000 ft and it runs great. I am a little on the rich side up at the higher elevation.

Like indy said, if you put the lid on and it runs better you are lean. I would go up to a 300 or 310 and see what she does with that jet and then adjust accordingly. Once you find the sweet spot you wont have to mess with it much.

Later
Bat