Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Sank my 03 Grizzly in 6 feet of water

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2003, 11:10 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sank my 03 Grizzly in 6 feet of water

Water water everywhere but not a drop to drink!!!! Engine oil full, cylinder full, carb full, trans case full of muddy water. Any tips for clean up.

Old 04-26-2003, 03:05 AM
Pro Rider

TEAR DOWN... ok, maybe not the entire quad, but this is what i would do. Drain the oil, gas, bassicly all the fluids. Take off the carb and clean it out/dry it out. Remove the sparkplug. Next i would put a straw on the end of a water vaccum cleaner, seal the connection up and suck that H20 out of the cylinder. Spray down the inside of the Combustion chamber through the spark plug hole with WD-40 or some other flamable oil type substance. Then suck it out after it settles. Spray some more in and replace with a new plug.

to really clean out the 'organs' of your engine you might want to change the fluids several times after a few good warm ups. Be very gentle on your engine as it may have hydro locked or bent a valve.

Old 04-27-2003, 09:55 PM
Pro Rider

So far I have changed all fluids and done much cleaning. There was mud in the carb causing it to idle rough. After the jets and bowl were cleaned the engine purrrs like factory. Next I removed the crankcase cover from the clutch and of course,,,,,it had mud in the bottom. Now I am in the market for a 03 Grizzly service manual and some Grizz grease for my clutch. ANYONE WHO CLAIMS THEY HAVE HAD THEIR GRIZZLY IN WATER UP TO THEIR RACKS HAS EITHER DONE SOME MODS OR THEY ARE FLAT OUT FULL OF SHI@. The air intake,air filter,and both airducts for the clutch housing are all below both front and rear rack heigth. This is an easy machine to work on, but ,for the people whom own Grizzlys, you would be well advised to stay out of water deeper than two feet.

Old 04-27-2003, 11:05 PM
Trailblazer

Sometimes you have to where boots while on the internet too! Talk is cheap for a lot of people. I know of the intake area you talk about and I went right to it with my Kodaik, but the water was getting deeper, so I got off, and the damn thing floated down the creek! A little ways only. As far as your Grizz goes, it sounds like you have it under control, and I agree, change the fluids several times in a row to clean and flush things out.

Old 05-18-2003, 03:50 PM
Pro Rider

Cleaned it all, new grease and oils and no problems. After 10 hours hard run time my Grizz runs like new, fast and tight. Well, I dont have to worry about breaking it in any more.