Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Anyone know anything about oxygenated race fuels?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2003, 02:10 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone know anything about oxygenated race fuels?

I have heard that an oxygenated race fuel makes more power than regular race fuels, is this true? They sell some stuff around here that is supposed to be pretty good, called Phillips B32 110 octane. Anone ever used it?

Old 04-26-2003, 02:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

yeah that stuff definatly makes a difference....just make sure you up your jets or you will melt a piston like a friend of mine did on his Drag Sled on his first pass with the fuel

Old 04-26-2003, 02:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

Oxygenated fuels are primarily used for high altitude purposes. The high octane is what you really need, depending on your piston compression ratio. High octane does nothing to increase proformance to a low compression motor, and you will lose power when burning to high of an octane.

Old 04-26-2003, 03:25 PM
Trailblazer

Phillips B32 110 octane is not an oxygenated fuel. It is a leaded fuel.

B35 (101 octane) is an oxygenated fuel as is B42 (105 octane). Both contain about 2.7% oxygen. Both are unleaded fuels. They obtain their oxygen from MTBE (B35) and ETBE (B42) which are added to raise the octane of the unleaded fuel. Subsequently, the oxygen is obtained from these chemicals.

I run the B35 in my Banshee and couple of friends run the B42 in their Raptors. I run the B35 since I can get it for $2.99 a gallon and don't need the higher octane of the B32 which cost $5.00 a gallon

It is my understanding from the research I've done on racing fuels that the oxygen promotes a more efficient burn or combustion of the fuel. It really makes the fuel burn "cleaner" (some pump gases contain oxygenates just for that reason).

I've run accross two schools of thought on oxygenates. One side states that additional power is obtained when jetting up with oxygenates. The other side claims that no added power is available with oxygenates. That side claims that no added energy comes from the oxygenates, much unlike the oxygen from nitrous oxide and other such additives.

I, personally, don't know the answer to whether or not oxygenated fuels add horsepower or not. The reason I run B35 is cost. I used to run B32 or C12, but with my current engine setup, don't need the octane of the B32 or C12. Plus, it doesn't make my pocket book wince as bad.

There is a lot of information available on the web regarding race fuels, some of which can be had from the websites of various manufacturers of race gas.

Regards,

Rog

Old 04-26-2003, 08:03 PM
Pro Rider

Hmmm, thanks for the info. I will have to look around for some B42. I think 105 octane will be good. I am running 110 right now. I have a 12.5:1 comp engine

Old 04-26-2003, 10:34 PM
Pro Rider

You have to consider, engines waste a lot of fuel because they cant get it atomized enough to burn good. Toss some more oxygen in there, that would make it more likely to burn right if not totaly atomized. Personally Im a fan of the vapor carb [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 05-16-2003, 03:39 PM
Pro Rider

It's all about fuel/air mixture, it's easy to get more fuel in just increase the jets but air is not as easy, so oxygenated fuels contain a string of oxygen molecules that help accomplish this, so bigger jetting will be needed to avoid running lean and there is a noticable increase in horsepower. These fuels usually run around 10-15 dollars a gallon.

Old 05-16-2003, 06:12 PM
Pro Rider

Major increse in power...easily noticable
worth the cash if ya wanna go fast

Old 05-17-2003, 07:17 AM
Pro Rider

It makes a big difference but you better have your jetting dead on or you can mess up a lot of stuff=$$$$ I dont buy the oxygenated fuel; I supplement my race fuel with the good stuff. SLIM