Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

WHO HAS 2001 RAPTOR STARTER CLUTCH FAILURES??

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2003, 12:23 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WHO HAS 2001 RAPTOR STARTER CLUTCH FAILURES??

Its hard to determine which is bad in a few instances. When my one-way was bad it acted like the starter was bad, my one-way only freespun a few times and started working again, cher clunk ity clunk then more or less started sounding ok with a grinding noise on occasion. After a few more rides I would have to hit the starter button, it would get to the compression stroke and stop. Stab the button again and it would start. I thought both my one-way and the starter were going bad little by little. I believe a weak starter can contribute to stock one-way failure do to the bearing not getting enough force quickly enough to grip the gear all the way around.

once I got the new one-way in the starter was fine, but I think I hurt it with all the load from the bad one-way somehow putting stress on it. (probably burned the commutator a little which I will regrind when I get new brushes)

the starters themselves rarely go completely bad.

Old 09-30-2003, 06:27 PM
Pro Rider

Did airraptor get kicked off and then have to sign back in?

Old 09-30-2003, 06:56 PM
Pro Rider

mine went out first of the summer. Covered by warranty! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

~HoundDog

Old 09-30-2003, 08:35 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

007, I know you kinda followed my other thread about my starter/one way problems. BUuut mine is/was (I tore it down) the same thing. I took my starter apart to look for some kind of damage or wear. I couldn't find anything. Is there something I can look for or some kind of check to see if the starter is weak?
Also why would a broken spring, or o-ring on the rebuilt one ways, cause it to lock up on the compression stroke????? That is what mine is doing and that is/was the problem.

WallStreet, mine was a rebuilt one way. That is probably one of the reason it went so fast, but its still kind of frustrating.

Old 09-30-2003, 09:59 PM
Pro Rider

Ward,

If I had to venture a guess as to why the starter sometimes bogs out with a bad one way. The only thing I can think of that when the one-way sprags give out, the sprags lock off center on the gear (one side out, other side in).

Since the gear is held center by the crank, and the sprags trying to push the gear off center by only being on one side the starter will turn one half a revolution and bind, since the crank keeps the gear centered, and the sprags are pushing it to the side, crushing the sprags.

What do ya think??

Old 09-30-2003, 10:12 PM
Pro Rider

still dunno what a one-way is.... Ward.. should i sing the song again ?

Old 10-01-2003, 12:31 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Just to let you all know, after I started this thread I placed the 01 setup in my 02 and it has been working better than when I got it new. I knew I should have taken it in to the dealer, but thought of it as being normal since I got it.

So, if you got your bike under warranty and it makes the slightest clunk when starting or shutting off I would take it in and tell them to replace it.

Old 10-01-2003, 12:32 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Just ordered the kit from Ripper Racing.

I can't risk the Wife's quad being down. She will blame it on the mods she let me do to her bike then I will be in the dog house!

Thanks Mike (Warrior007).

Old 10-01-2003, 06:18 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

007 that makes more sense than what I could come up with. I couldn't figure out why. I kept thinking that the sprags might be rolling the wrong way, like turning 360 degrees, in the carrier. But then I would think that would only cause the gear to spin all the time, which should only wear out the starter real fast. Anyway you are making alot more sense of it than I was. Thanks.

RepTar, I think yes. That was some funny shtuf!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

She will blame it on the mods she let me do to her bike
Now I can't beleive that a woman would do such a thing.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] LOL

Old 10-01-2003, 09:26 AM
Trailblazer

the only problem I have had with my 01 is the clutch goes out. Oh well that and the fact that every time I put it in reverse I always get my riding boots super dirty, but then again mine goes full speed in reverse.

Quick Reply: WHO HAS 2001 RAPTOR STARTER CLUTCH FAILURES??