Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

silicone or WD40 & a fuel?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2003, 06:04 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default silicone or WD40 & a fuel?

two questions:
what do u think is hands down better. WD40 or silicon spray and why? regardless of price, just plain quality. Is one better for some things and the other better for other things?

Is it SAFE to carry gasoline in a poland spring bottle? I know if u put gasoline in styrofoam itll disitegrate(sp?) (i know from experience) but what about plastic bottles?
I ask this question because i plan on taking a long trip into unknown territory with a couple of friends and my raptor. I dont know if there are any gas stations on the way so a 16 ouch bottle of fuel is comforting to have JUST IN CASE. Im gonna bring it unless anyone warns against it.

thanks for the help/warrior

Old 05-01-2003, 06:55 PM
Pro Rider

cmon, i know someone knows. To some, this may be an obvious question but i am not 100% sure. I dont see what would be wrong with holding it in a bottle but then again...what do i know?

Old 05-01-2003, 07:00 PM
Pro Rider

WD40 is a penetrating aid and better at getting frozen, rusty bolts unstuck. WD40 is not really a lubricant as much as they would have you believe. By process of elimination, silicon spray wins. It really isn't that good of a lubricant either. Neither has lasting properties.

Carry your gas in one of those 1 gallon gas containers. Or, put it in one of those bottles and let it sit a few days to see if it starts leaking.

/NotuRaptor

Old 05-01-2003, 07:31 PM
Pro Rider

well im just gonna have it in the bottle for 8 hours at most. And im not worried about it leaking as much as it melting the plastic or exploding or somehting like that.

Ok so silicon is better at libricating and wd is better at penetrating. OK. Dont let it just be between those two. Does anybody have something better that they recommend for lubricating and protecting? anybody,?im all ears........or eyes, actually

thanks for teh reply

Old 05-01-2003, 07:32 PM
Pro Rider

For carrying the fuel you might look at a sporting goods store. they have metal containers about the size of the bottle you want to use that are made for carrying fuel for camp stoves

Old 05-01-2003, 07:33 PM
Pro Rider

or put in one of those 7eleven super cups!lol it's thicker than the plastic gas jugs.

Old 05-01-2003, 07:38 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you want to haul a little extra fuel around, get a little aluminum fuel bottle available at most camping equipment stores like Gander Mtn. usually come in sizes between 16 - 32 oz.
much safer, won't leak.

Old 05-01-2003, 07:39 PM
Pro Rider

ok, well that settles that question. Thank you

Now how bout the lubricant question? at first people told me to spray wd all over my bike cause its a great protectant. but then i was told it eats away at seals! If anything i just dont want something that is safe for rubber seals,etc- but i want something that will keep it protected and safe from cracking and drying out. Does this exist? any takers?

Old 05-01-2003, 07:50 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would not use wd40 on rubber parts like your shock ends or o-ring chain, it will eventually ruin the rubber. Silicone is OK for these type of parts.

Old 05-01-2003, 08:25 PM
Pro Rider

good you told me...someone told me before to spray the shock shafts all over with WD. Does anybody have any other products to tell me about? is there anything i shouldnt put silicone on?

Quick Reply: silicone or WD40 & a fuel?