Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

How to change the main jet?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2003, 01:24 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to change the main jet?

I'm a newbie at this jetting. I just got a FMF SST pipe and silencer. I need to change the stock main jet from a 230 to a 260. I try to follow the directions in the manaul but they don't seem all that easy. I'm afraid ill mess something up. Does the main jet sit in the square part of the carb on the very bottom? Isn't there an easier way to change the jet and not have to unclamp the air box, and the mixing chamber? Can't I just turn the carb and change the jet without removing the mixing chamber? Also, is it easy to mess the carb up? I'm sorry if i sound stupid.

Thanks

Old 05-08-2003, 04:21 PM

What quad do you have? To make your life a whole lot easier when putting the carb in and taking it out, just take the airbox out. That square thin on the bottom of the carb is the float bowl. And yes you have to take that out to change the main jets, they are in there. I don't think its possible to just twist the carbs, the boots keep them in place and you should gets the carbs on a working table so that you dont lose any parts,

Patrick

Old 05-08-2003, 05:51 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's on a blaster. What tool do u use to take off the mixing chamber cap? I can't turn it with my hands and pliers don't have a wide enough opening, monkey wrench won't fit either.

Old 05-08-2003, 06:43 PM

I'd have to see it, I've never worked on a blaster before, did you try allen wrenchs? Torque?

Patrick

Old 05-08-2003, 06:46 PM

sorry, forgot to add this, if you're that determined not to take anything off, then I guess just take the bowls off from the carbs current position but then it will be a b!tch to change the jets. I would just do it the long way if I were you. I don't think you can just turn the carb, you can try it but be careful to watch for all the gas and turn the petcock off also. If you're careful, carb work is simple, just remember to put things in the way they came out,

Patrick