Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

The Raptor

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2003, 10:32 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Raptor

I would also have absolutely no reserve about talking you into a Raptor! The only thing I would suggest is to steer clear of the '01's for the tranny issues that they have. I have a '02 and I haven't had ANY problems AT ALL.
The Raptor is easy to work on and there is a ton of aftermarket to make it even faster.

If you don't go with one...I'll wait at the top of the hill for you to catch up!! J/K [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 05-09-2003, 03:49 PM
Trailblazer
Default The Raptor

Please my predator will smoke that little raptor

Old 05-09-2003, 05:27 PM
Pro Rider
Default The Raptor

Run far and run fast,
I would say look at the other brands...mines been nothing but trouble, however maybe I'm just lucky
The raptor needs serious mods for track riding that add up real fast

OHH YAHH and it WILL smoke preditor580cc, even broken down

BRAAAAAP

Old 05-09-2003, 05:44 PM
Pro Rider
Default The Raptor

yea ok predator580!!!!!but can it beat a 686, that's the question..Diden't think so,stay off that bottle..(NOS)

Old 05-09-2003, 06:00 PM
Pro Rider
Default The Raptor

Man, stay away from the Raptors. Their high Center of Gravity make them tippy as Uncle Herb on new year's eve. I've ridden 2 and while they do put out some power when equipped with a decent pipe, they are still trouble (mostly the 01 models). They also don't handle very good stock. Some suspension mods could fix that...but the $$$ adds up. I've raced 4 different stock bored (but heavily modded) Raptors, and none of them touched me on the flat dirt drags (even tho I'm running stock 16/40 gearing and 22 inch tires). And, my TM45 is not close to being dialed in. The DS 650 is pretty much an all-around better quad (wider and longuer stock, more powerful and handles better, although it has no reverse. ). Although it is heavier, it pulls it's own weight no problem. You don't even notice the added 60 lbs. wet.

The DS is also much more comfortable for long rides, has a way bettter seat, and some room to be comfortable (better if yer a big guy).

And most of all, a WAY better stocker suspension.

If you don't like the width and weight of the current DS's, consider the 2004's which are less wide and lighter.

Just my 0.02 cents. Don't get me wrong, I aint bashing the Raptor, just my personal opinions.

Thanks

Old 05-09-2003, 06:16 PM
Pro Rider
Default The Raptor

if not the Raptor ,then i would go with a Baja X,I ride with DS guy's and they could hang ..(I guess)LOL

I personally like the cut fenders on them.....

Old 05-10-2003, 02:15 AM
Pro Rider
Default The Raptor

I have had mine for bout 5 months and I have had NO problems.......even with the mods I have......
I am 6'2" and 250lbs........and I have absolutely no complaints on the comfort of the bike..........although a wider stance would help the handling........it is no slouch......it still handles pretty well.......

I have ridden shees......z's.........blasters........ds's....... ...and ex's.........and I wouldn't trade my bike for any other!..........PERIOD!

Old 05-10-2003, 02:38 AM
Trailblazer
Default The Raptor

i have a 2002 along with my friend and we absolutely love them. Stock against a DS650 Baja in the sand dunes the baja caught up to us at the top of the hill and passed us along with the banshee but i havent found anything yet that can beat me off the line stock.

Predators look cheap and copied off of something else to me I dont think they are worth it.

There is an issue of stability on the raptors, So if you dont think its stable enough buy some +2 a-arms. I like the size of my raptor because i often try to sqeeze through all kinds of things, plus the narrow stance lets me turn tighter.

I really like my raptor like i said but your not going to go wrong with a DS650. I think the DS650 and the raptor are in a class by themselves and then there are all the other little brothers and sisters. The only thing about the DS650 is that its LARGE and heavy and kinda expensive. Plus the company is unstable unlike the thriving yamaha company!!! You make the decision and you'll be happy with whatever you choose!!!

Just as long as you become an avid ATVer

Old 05-10-2003, 02:47 AM
Pro Rider
Default The Raptor

Buy an Abrams, it give true meaning to "blowing away the competition" just ask some of my Iraqi neighbors. Even if you do get beat off the line, they won't get far with a high explosive round up their high dollar tail pipe. And talk about off roading, there's not much that can beat it. Even on the motocross track, who is going to pass you. Of course you can only race in the open class. The doubles are no trouble, but casing the trips is comon. Of course you only do it once and then the trip is now a double again. They are a little spendy, but once you mod your brand new stock quad, it will seem like you you bought an Abrams anyway.

Starky in Baghdad