Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Swingarm Extensions - Chain Adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2003, 04:54 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swingarm Extensions - Chain Adjustment

Ok, got my JTM today and really like how easy it was to install, now my question is; I usually go by the book to adjust the chain but when I did it was way to tight, so I just back it off until I got the specs I should have without the bike lifted. Ok, one more question. I purchased a new chain and before I did the extension, well after I was all done I have three master links in my chain. Is this not good or what? and why?

Thank you

Old 05-09-2003, 05:29 PM
Pro Rider

Master links are typically weaker than a continous chain...the more weak links the worse...you could get a link of chain and only have to use two of those masters...one less problem

Old 05-09-2003, 05:49 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Is there a company that can sale a complete chain with the amount you specify with NO masterlinks?

Old 05-09-2003, 08:37 PM
Pro Rider

I've got a +4 swing arm and pretty much go by the book for chain adjustment. With the longer swing arm the chain seems to get real loose at max travel and snug at max compression. Jack up the back of the bike so the swing arm hangs free and check to be sure it's not too loose. Then check the chain while compressing (have someone sit on the grab bar) and make sure it's not too tight. Kinda find the happy medium. A little too loose is better than a little too tight.

As for the chain I had a similar dilemma. I bought a Sidewinder Ti chain when I had a +3 (6 months ago) and recently changed to a +4 - Damn - 2 master links [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img] I'ts too expensive of a chain to toss and replace. Not ideal but it seems to be fine.

Old 05-09-2003, 09:13 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Yeah, I had it jacked up when I did the tension adjustment, when I set it back down is when the chain was tight as He!!. I actually watched the bike lower as I loosened the chain. So I adjusted it like it sat then leaned over my sixpack rack with all my weight and felt the chain and it just needed a little more loosening. I got it now but man that was strange for it to change just by adding the extension.

Old 05-10-2003, 12:33 PM
Pro Rider

Yep - the reason it's changing more now is because you have more wheel travel with the extension compared to stock. If the front sprocket was the same point as the swing arm pivot it would not change but it's different so there is quite a bit of change at the "new" extremes. I just keep an eye on things a little closer now !

Old 05-10-2003, 01:03 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Ok, thanks for all your replys. I was thinking I was going to have to buy another new chain again.....