Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

2002 Grizzly Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2003, 11:11 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Grizzly Questions

Hi all I just bought a used 2002 Grizzly with 4000 km and I have a couple questions.

Is there anything I should look out for? I bought it from a Yamaha dealer it
is in great shape like new. Apparently they changed all oils and did complete
verification. Valves were adjusted.

Its the first time I have owned a belt driven Quad is it normal that
there is sort of a noice as if the belt is jumping (or something else) when breaking
hard?

Today was my 3rd time out on the Grizz and when I let off the gas a couple of
times it backfired (a low backfire) what could the cause be?

It is quaranteed for a month I am just wondering if the above question are normal
behavior.

Thanks to anyone who replys

nevlis

Old 05-11-2003, 05:15 AM
Pro Rider

As far as the "belt noise" that you think you are hearing when breaking.......it's not the belt... it's the BREAKS. The rear break on the griz will wear quickly and it will do exactly what you just described.

As far as the backfire goes; could be a couple of different things. The first thing i would suspect is that the muffler is burning out and that you need to change your fuel/air mixture. The exact same thing happend to my bike as the miles started adding up.

A suggestion for you is, try to always break/slowdown using the front breaks. There are two sets of pads working that way and your breaks will last alot longer. Another, wash the heck out of the rear break pads after each ride. Sand and mud build-up on the pads will thrash them quickly. The rear pads arent cheap either! but not that hard to replace yourself.

Good luck and fun riding!

Jonathan

Old 05-11-2003, 09:27 AM
Weekend Warrior

Well the "breaking noice" is not so much a noice it is more as if there is a "jerking motion"
somewhere its really hard to explain. It is as if when I break hard like going over a step hill
something is catching and releasing not a solid breaking motion.

Thanks for the reply

Old 05-11-2003, 09:41 AM

technically you should use 2/3 front and 1/3 rear brakes when braking.......but that is for motorcycles but just for an idea. Well, that "braking noise" could be a warped rotor, just my .02,

Patrick

Old 05-11-2003, 10:29 AM
Pro Rider

The grizzly makes a whole host of driveline noises when significantly using the rear brakes. The ultramatic tranny belt is pretty much known to last forever... Just ask your dealer how much the belt costs, he'll probably have to look it up, not have them stocked and priced on the showroom floor like a polaris dealer.

Old 05-11-2003, 09:24 PM
Pro Rider

Nevlis,

I know exactly what you are talking about and i promise ya that your rear break pads are shot. Infact, i would lay money that the one that is in front is twice as bad as the rear one (rear break pads face front and back).

If you take off the driver-side wheel, you should be able to inspect the break yourself. really easy job to replace, like i said before. It's good to do the easiest work yourself, so ya get to know the bike better.

When the wife and i ride, i never even use the brakes unless it is an emergency situation. The engine braking on the griz is awsome. ie: going up and down steep hills, or to stop from hitting something.

Good riding, and God's speed!

Jonathan