Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

2003 Raptor - Yoshimura Tri-Oval system?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2003, 03:17 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Raptor - Yoshimura Tri-Oval system?

Hello all,

Finally ready to make the jump and purchase a full system exhaust, along with AirBox mod and Jets. I know this same discussion has been made probably 25x or more on this message board, but I haven't seen much talk about the '03 Raptors, or the Yoshi exhaust systems.

I was doing my research in an old Dirt Wheels mag (Feb 2002 issue), and they have a Raptor pipe shootout. The CT Racing system did come up as the top dog in terms of HP gain, but also had the loudest noise output. The Yoshi system came up very close to the CT system in HP gain, and had the lowest noise output of the shootout -- so they actually rated the Yoshimura system as #1 in this shootout.

Now this was of course before the Yoshimura Tri-Oval systems were out. A good friend of mine recently purchased a Tri-Oval system for his Kawasaki KFX 400, and absolutely LOVES it. He went with the Alba airbox setup, and Dynojet jetting.

So rather than rant on anymore here.. I was wondering if anyone has yet fooled with the Yoshimura Tri-Oval systems with the 2003 Raptor? And if so, what are the suggested jetting and airbox mods to complement this system?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Kevin G.

Old 05-11-2003, 03:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have the tri oval on a 02, I don't think there is any difference from 03. I absolutely love this setup and it looks great too. Although I have heard from Magic racing that the titanium header is prone to cracking when being struck by rocks when in use. I have yet to encounter such a problem. As for jetting it depends on your elevation, i use the K & N kit with aluminum airbox with no lid.

Old 05-11-2003, 04:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the quick response [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Now let me ask you this.. does the K&N Airbox replace your entire stock plastic airbox?

As you know, the air filter in the stock box just kind of rests in a groove. Then when you install the airbox lid is when it secures it in place. So I was thinking I would need either a billet alum. collar like the Alba action airbox mods provide, or replace the entire airbox. Of course, option #3 would be to take a hacksaw to my current airbox lid just to keep the first segment of the lid that holds the filter in place.

As far as my elevation goes.. I honestly have no idea what the elevation is here in Northeast PA. I guess I can find out easy enough with a little research.

And one other thing... I'm guessing you have the Titanium silencer? I see that Yoshimura is starting to offer the Carbon Fiber silencer end... which looks cool as all hell. I used to have a '98 Yam R1 with a Carbon Fiber exhaust silencer, and the best part about that was that it never really heated up. You could come back from a 1hr ride, and touch the darn thing and not burn yourself... cool stuff [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

And lastly.. any suggestions as far as websites that have good deals on this setup? I just got back into the ATV game after many years of not owning one. So I'm still learning who's the best aftermarket parts sellers out there again.

Old 05-11-2003, 04:31 PM
Pro Rider

www.rockymountainatv.com is one of the best and the prices are awesome!!

NuG

Old 05-11-2003, 05:09 PM
Weekend Warrior

Actually I have an UM air box(complete replacement) that retails for about $169 it has the flanges for the filter on the inside also, but you have to upgrade to a pro deign air filter. The jet kit is K&N, I also replaced my pilots when jetting. You could purchase an adapter for your stock air box by Pro Design, it's a billet collar like you were suggesting. I have the titanium Setup and would stay away from the carbonfiber sleeve, I hear that they often pop off the rivets off road. When I first got the pipe I ran it with the stock airbox with two 1 1/8in. holes cut out on the lid, this worked great! I got my pipe from Magic Racing for $720 with pilots, happy hunting!

Old 05-12-2003, 02:12 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hey Rippinrap,

Many thanks again for the kick-*** replies [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Ok, I guess I'm sold on the Tri-Oval full titanium system.

Now you mentioned pilots. I'm by no means an ATV mechanic, so bear with me... but are the pilots something completely differnet from the jet kit? And as far as buying a jet kit. You made mention that you use the K & N kit, which I've also looked at. When ordering the kit, do you have to specify the jet sizes you want? Again, this goes back to me not knowing what the optimal size would be for the Yosh setup.

So to totally make this dummy proof, if you would be so kind... let me know your suggestions on the following:

1. Pipe -- obviously the Yosh tri-oval system [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
2. Jet kit -- K & N? Any specific model # of the kit I should know?
3. Air Filter -- Open to suggestion on this one
4. Airbox mod -- I'll probably keep my stock airbox intact, and simply get the collar adaptor. Any suggestions on this?
5. Lastly, any good websites you know of that would have ALL of the above so I can order in one shipment?

Thanks again for your help, it's GREATLY appreciated!

Kevin G.

Old 05-12-2003, 03:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

Kevin I suggest K&N, No part # you get different jets with the kit. I would get the pro design pro flo filter because the K&N filter doesn't have the ability to trap as much dust and dirt. You will get better performance from the K&N filter, better safe then sorry I think. The collar is also Pro design, and make sure you use loctite on the collar screws. The pilots are also apart of jetting they are in the bottom fo the carbs, the jet kit should walk you through this. www.magicracing.com should have everything you need. Good luck!

Old 05-12-2003, 04:32 PM
Pro Rider

I agree with most of the info,but spare your self some down time and go with the GYT-r jet kit and use the 25 pilot jets, i have the comp series yoshimura and i love it,no complaints here,and get the pro design filter set up and run with no lid,if you dont ride in water...I have been thru all this and this is the info that worked for me,i dont doubt that the k&n jet kit does work but alot of people had problems with the jetting when they use that jet kit..

Old 05-12-2003, 05:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well... I finally made the purchase after taking into consideration all the help you guys have been giving me [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

I went with the Yoshimura Power Package system from Magic Racing rather than the tri-oval. From what I've read and heard, the stainless system doesn't put out any less HP than the tri-oval... it simply weighs 5lbs more and may have a bit more noise. So that I guess I can live with for saving $200+ [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

I upgraded the Pro Design filter that comes with this kit to the K & N filter system. And grabbed the Tec kit for the Yosh pipe so I could adjust the noise level if I wanted to. And additionally, I purchased a replacement airbox lid. The name of the maker of this lid escapes me right now, but it's a mesh type of lid that velcros onto your stock airbox... giving you some level of protection over running a wide-open airbox, but still allowing it to breathe as if it were wide-open.

Thanks again for all the help guys, it was GREATLY appreciated!

Kevin