Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

caught on railroad with atv, what kinda fine?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2003, 02:34 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default caught on railroad with atv, what kinda fine?

Here in Fl we ride down the tracks all the time. We even drive our trucks along the tracks then park in the woods and ride from there. The worst I’ve ever heard of happening is people being told to leave the area. No one has ever said anything at all to me.

Old 05-12-2003, 02:56 PM
Pro Rider

i ride on the tracks all the time too to get from one place to the other. Im not sure what the fine is here in PA but i know if i see one im liftin it into fifth and slamming on the throttle as i give a cordial wave to the officer or whoever it is. good luck and have fun!

Old 05-12-2003, 03:44 PM
Pro Rider

Ive been caught, he asked us what we were doing and I said going down to a sand bar to ride. He said ok, and left.

Old 05-12-2003, 04:45 PM

I used to ride by the train tracks a little. Hopefuly will soon again but anyway I never had a problem with anyone, I rode about 5-10 ft from the tracks. I dont think there would be a fine if you have a decent buffer zone between you and the train tracks,

Patrick

Old 05-12-2003, 04:53 PM
Pro Rider

ok this may sound stupid, but this is what happened to my brother. He got a trespassing ticket for riding his bike along the railroad track....in court they said you are allowed to cross them, but not ride along them......what a BS ticket that was, it cost him like $115 I think
i know its a different situation.

Old 05-12-2003, 10:05 PM
Pro Rider

no i didn't get caught, sorta. A cop saw me and on a pull off near the railroad as i was riding along. as i neared he spepped out of the car and i sorta kept going and waved friendly like, and punched it out of site off the railroad tracks and down along in the woods, then just navigated my way back to my house. luckily i wasn't that far from. but here's the thing ok... the whole reason why i take the railroad is because there's a river separating my house and my buddy's house. nomatter how you go, you have to cross the river. so i take the railroad to get over it, but there's a scare factor. where the railroad crosses the river, it's just one trussle for about 100yards, no side areas, no rocks, just inbetween the rails travel for about 100 yards. luckily i have a blaster and that's easy enought to pick up and move over the rails, but still. it would probably be hell to get caught on a trussle part of the rail road, actually riding on the tracks. but I'm far enought away from everybody then that I don't really worry about that. my biggest worry is having to ditch my blaster and myself into the river if a train comes.
but it's only 100 yards until i can drive on rocks again. and if i get on, i can haul a$$ till the other side.
smart idea if it's the only way to commute?
opinions welcomed

blaster rida

Old 05-12-2003, 10:32 PM
Pro Rider

Not worth it, load it in a truck and drive over to his house. It makes no sense to risk getting yourself killed by riding on a railroad bridge where you have to ride on the tracks. I would imagine it's quite possible not to hear an approaching train over the noise of your engine and the bumpy surface next thing you know.....squish... just doesnt seem like a good idea.

Old 05-12-2003, 10:43 PM
Trailblazer

If you are trying to cross the James river you must be an idiot. Hopewell will burn you if you don't get hit by a train. You gotta think about Hopewell. It has trains coming and going ALL DAY AND NIGHT because of all the factories loacated there. If you are in Charles City just load up the quad and come to my house ... I have 1620 acres to ride and I'm less then 45 min from you. Oi.

Old 05-13-2003, 01:29 AM
Pro Rider

There ya go, if I had an invite like that in Oregon ( hint, hint) I'd be all over it. Stay off RR bridges!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !

Old 05-13-2003, 03:56 AM
Trailblazer

Two things.
First is being on railroad property can get you charged with trespassing. If they see any damage near you they will pin it on you and get you for criminal trespassing.
Second is that since 9/11 security near railroad property has increased dramatically and actions that a few years ago went unenforced are now vigorously enforced. People just near railroad tracks watching trains have been getting the third degree. One area I know of was a popular fishing spot for decades but now is patrolled by railroad, county, local and state police and they will write you up for being there. The railroad cops in particular now have absolutely no sense of humor when it comes to trespassers. Recently a guy who was fishing saw a railroad cop coming down the road and decided he didn’t want a ticket so he threw his gear in his truck and drove away. The RR cop gave chase and pursued the guy until he came to the RR property line. There the county sheriffs deputies and the town cops were waiting for him. He got charged with several things including eluding and criminal trespass.

Just be prepared to suffer the consequences (legal and monetary) if you get pinched. A damned shame but that is the way it is.

Quick Reply: caught on railroad with atv, what kinda fine?