Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Valve Adjustments(How often??)

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2003, 06:34 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Valve Adjustments(How often??)

but what about croch rocket engines? arent they high revving and high performance?

Do u have any tips for doing the valves. Just some pointers and stuff to watch out for?

Old 05-12-2003, 07:18 PM
Pro Rider

I don't know about crotch rockets since I don't have one, a guess would be that they are dual overhead cam engines & don't need adjustment as often.
lighter valve train componets, & diffrent materials may play a part in that also.
The Raptor is a big thumper & viabrates more than a smooth running small bore multi cylinder engine.

Pointers would be ,
1. don't over tighten the lock nut, it'll just round off the edges & make it harder to get off next time.

2. leave the feeler guage in place when you tighten the lock nut & recheck it after it's tight, the lock nut can cause the adjusting screw to tighten so always double check them.

3. get the Yamaha or Motion Pro valve adjustment tool, the exhaust valves are real tough to get to & it'll help.

4. Always make sure yor engine is cold when adjusting valves, the manual says cool to the touch but I do mine cold.

5. change your spark plug when you adjust the valves, they are cheap & it's easier to get to with the tank & plastic off. Also use anti seize on the threads, put dielectric grease on the boot, make sure the plug seal goes in the right way & completely seats, use some grease on the seal also. when you remove your spark plug always blow out the hole before you remove it, just in case anything gets past the seal.

After you've done it a few times it goes quickly (I remove the plastic & tank while the oil is draining)
It's also a good time to look over places that are hidden by the plastic, check for loose bolts or wires, & clean spots you usually can't reach.

These quads are a big investment & should be treated that way, also doing these things yourself makes you more familiar with ypur quad & you can make a few $$ from riding buddies that can't do their own service!!

Old 05-12-2003, 08:17 PM
Pro Rider

alright, i guess ill go for it this weekend. I wish there was someone else who i could watch do it. Im really afraid of screwing something up.

Old 05-12-2003, 08:24 PM
Pro Rider

does anybody have a link to the raptor manual or valve adjustment manual? I did a search but had no luck so can anyone help me out?

Old 05-12-2003, 11:03 PM
Range Rover

Warriors, Big Bears, etc., all have air cooled engines that "grow" a bit when hot. The first adjustment is the most important as the factory tends to leave them a bit on the loose side. Warriors and their engine sharing brothers will have a definite ticking noise when they get loose. On the other end, if they tighten up they do not make noise but you will loose some HP and can burn up an exhaust valve.
Water cooled engine have much tighter clearances and do not need adjustment as often.

Old 05-14-2003, 11:18 AM
Pro Rider

what tool am i supposed to use to remove the crankshaft accesing screw and timing mark accesing screw??? thanks

Old 05-14-2003, 01:39 PM
Pro Rider

use a big slotted screwdriver.
If you don't have one big enough to keep from slipping out put a dime in a vice grip & use that.

Old 05-14-2003, 02:49 PM
Pro Rider

yeah i was actually thinking of using a quarter or something. It seems to be a perfect match but i thought they woulda made some kinda tool . The slot seems pretty big. Im gonna give it a try this weekend. BTW...can i buy the yamaha wrench and the feeler gauges at my yamaha dealer? do i buy the gauges at an auto parts store?

This may seem like a stupid question but taking off the gas tank confuses me. The only thing that would control the stopping of fuel is the valve...where the reserve on and off are right? so if i dont leave it attached when i take the tank off, wouldnt the fuel just spill out of the hose? since its just an open line...or is there something im missing? should i just use up all the gas in the tank? thanks for the help!

Old 05-14-2003, 03:05 PM
Pro Rider

Yea a quater might fit better but you got the idea.
I just use a big a$$ screwdriver myself.

Unlike the Z/KFX 400's the Raptor does have an off position on the petcock so just turn it off.
You can run it out of gas but if you don't only a small amount of fuel will be left in the line.

My Yamaha dealer has the tools & feeler guages in stock but you should call to see if yours does.

You can get by with a wrench & needle nose pliers if you can't get the correct Yamaha or Motion pro tools but you need to have the feeler guages which any auto parts store should have.

Old 05-14-2003, 03:32 PM
Pro Rider

thanks MOOSe, as always...youve been a great help.

One more question: how do i know how much to tighten the locknut. Just use my judgement or is there a certain torque?

Quick Reply: Valve Adjustments(How often??)