Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Trade Up?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 06:11 PM
Trailblazer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Trade Up?

I've been here for a couple weeks now and my 97 Arctic Cat Bearcat 454 is basically finished. Had it out last Saturday for an all day run and she performed flawlessly. Friend of mine forwarded me a Craigslist ad last night where as this guy has a "no start" 2004 Arctic Cat 500 Auto FIS with a new battery, winch, real good tires and is in overall good condition, looking to trade for a "smaller" atv that runs. I sent him a suggestion and pictures of mine and he's willing to make the trade. I've seen pictures of his atv and it looks good. What would you do? Mine in good running condition is maybe worth $1500, his in good running condition is worth $3500 +/-. Mine is full time 4x4, manual shift, and solid rear axle. His is selectable 2x4/4x4, CVT auto, and full independent suspension.

Greg

Old 10-09-2012, 10:05 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like a decent trade, you'll just have to see how it looks. Ive seen them look good in pictures, just to be a basketcase when I got there. Not saying thats the case, just be leary. Also, if it needs a full rebuild, thats not cheap. If it just needs a carb cleaning, thats great, but its best to trade expecting the worst and hoping for the best. I bought my Big Bear in non running condition. It ran enough that I drove it about 200 feet feathering the choke to keep it running. Once i got it home it was easy to get the engine running right, but then I found out the rear differential was shot. Luckily im still not into more than what its worth, im just saying there can be hidden issues you cant see if the machine isnt rideable.

Id say just check it out and see what you think then go from there. Sometimes a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush, but then again it could be a great trade for you if it only needs a simple fix.

Old 10-09-2012, 10:28 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks Cummins Driver, that was what I thought as well. If a reasonable fix is all it needs i.e. carb overhaul, cdi box, battery or other electrical issue then it's a no brainer. If it has a hole in the side of the block....well thats another thing. I'm meeting the guy Sunday morning to make the trade so at best all I'll get a chance to do is a quick once over...attempt to get it to crank, check oil condition and level and maybe try to coax it out of him what the actual symptoms were when it failed to start. I don't know the mileage or hours on the bike as he says the instrument cluster doesn't light...could be a simple fuse.
I'll let you know how it goes and thanks again.

Greg

Old 10-09-2012, 10:32 PM
Pro Rider

Definately keep us updated! On another note, how do you like the 454? I see them for sale occasionally and it seems they are built pretty solid even though they don't have the bells and whistles of the newer ones.

Old 10-10-2012, 09:01 AM
Trailblazer

I was quite surprised! This is/was my fourth atv having owned a Brute Force 750i, a Honda Foreman 450ES, and a Suzuki Eiger 400. The Bearcat was nimble off road with good manners. Although full time four wheel drive, I found the steering to be reasonable (8 psi in both front tires), and the braking to be fair (given enough advance). The power of the 454 engine is great compared to the Honda 450 and Suzuki Eiger 400 (366cc), but most likely due to the lower gearing of the axles. Top speed on my Bearcat was about 40mph here again most likely due to the lower gearing. Was in 5th gear in about 20 seconds from a start. The front ride height is a little low, but the soft suspension and double rear control arms allow great flex. If this Craigslist offer hadn't come around when it did, I would have been content to keep my Bearcat for at least a few months...can't hardly lose on it. Paid $500 and have $160 total in repairs to bring it up to speed.

Greg

Old 10-14-2012, 01:45 PM
Pro Rider

Sounds like you have plenty to compare it to! Haha. I always liked the looks of the old 454's and the rear end does look like a great setup as far as SRA goes. That's one thing I don't like about my big bear is the low 5th gear. It's not an issue on the trails and id rather have it a little low than too high, but on the road it'd be nice to have some taller gearing. For what you have in it, id say it's a steal. Got any pictures of it? Have you looked at your trade offer yet?

Old 10-14-2012, 06:27 PM
Trailblazer

I did the trade! Awesome looking compared to the Bearcat! Full independent, selectable 2x4 or 4x4, and the 500 to boot! Now if I can just get it running

Diagnosis began about 11 am this morning. Biggest drawback is the starter motor. Took it apart and reassembled...like new inside and so did a bench test and it works. Reinstalled and it doesn't. Seems there is a gear setup inside that is jammed, near the pull cord. Looks like a big gear and a smaller gear in front of it. Neither move so tear down tomorrow is in order. On to the ignition, has spark and will kick with sprayed with carb cleaner, and has a recent new carb...me thinks something is clogged...tomorrow again. Neutral and reverse lights on cluster work, 4 wheel drive actuator works, fan works...oh yeah, all the time...is that normal on an 04?

Body and plastics look good although dusty/dirty. Almost new tires, new battery, and a new Promark 3k winch with synthetic line. That's about all for now, I'm bushed from helping another friend with his '62 Cady valve job.
At least i'm on vacation this week so updates and questions may be coming every day.

Greg

Old 10-14-2012, 06:42 PM
Trailblazer

There are pics in my garage of the old Bearcat and the new trade 500!
Better pics later this week...

Greg

Old 10-14-2012, 06:45 PM
Pro Rider

Sounds like a great trade! If it hits on carb cleaner, then sounds like the carb or something in the fuel system is just gummed up or clogged and needs cleaning. Those are the kind of trades I like!

I was watching a video of a 500I earlier and as soon as the guy turned the key on, the fan was running. I guess it is normal, but that seems a little odd they would do it like that, especially for winter running.

Do those starter gears spin when you pull the pull rope? Im surprised they would be locked up since they are in the case and run in oil. Keep in mind that it is the same Suzuki engine that is found in the Vinson 500 I believe. So if you need parts, it may be easier to get them under the suzuki name when searching. You will want to double check that they are in fact the same engine though.

Definately sounds like a good deal. I always liked those ATV's, especially in lime green! haha Keep us updated

Old 10-14-2012, 06:51 PM
Pro Rider

Just looked at the pictures. That thing is going to look great cleaned up! Looks very nice other than some dust...

Quick Reply: Trade Up?