Answered: The Mysteries of the Snatch Block

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2016, 04:18 AM
Quad Patrol
Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Answered: The Mysteries of the ****** Block

You may not believe it when someone tells you there's a simple little pulley and hook that can double your winch's towing power but this is one of those rare moments where the the hype is worth believing.

We dig into how it all works here:

Ask the Editors: Winching with a ****** Block - ATVConnection.com

Old 08-15-2016, 12:46 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I doesn't sound right when you say it doubles your towing power. No one I know uses a ****** block to tow anything. It doubles your pulling power.

Old 08-15-2016, 07:42 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

He He He....you got that right there JF. You certainly couldn't tow very far with a ****** block!!

Old 08-16-2016, 11:35 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You're not supposed to use your winch to tow either. It is very hard on the gears inside. Its ok to use it to recover another quad but don't use it(or the other quad's winch) to tow them back to the truck if they're broke down. Use a tow strap for that. Or don't use your winch as a tie down when hauling. I think both of these do get done a lot and is probably the cause of a lot of winches not lasting as long as they should. I think I may have destroyed a Viper winch doing the last thing years ago though it was only done a few times. It stripped out after about a year and it was used very little. I think those cheap ebay winches are designed to be short lived and simply throw them away and buy a new one every couple years anyway.

Old 08-16-2016, 05:30 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Actually I carry a long piece of cable that is not kinked and curled with hooks on both ends as well as a tow strap for pulling other machines. My winch is just for my snow blade and my own personal needs. Not going to screw up my winch for someone else.
Besides I have more pulling power by using my machine itself than using the winch. Last time out I pulled a big 4 seater RZR type machine out of mud up to his seats by just pulling with my machine in low/4wd.

Old 08-17-2016, 09:28 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by greg74
You're not supposed to use your winch to tow either. It is very hard on the gears inside. Its ok to use it to recover another quad but don't use it(or the other quad's winch) to tow them back to the truck if they're broke down. Use a tow strap for that. Or don't use your winch as a tie down when hauling. I think both of these do get done a lot and is probably the cause of a lot of winches not lasting as long as they should. I think I may have destroyed a Viper winch doing the last thing years ago though it was only done a few times. It stripped out after about a year and it was used very little. I think those cheap ebay winches are designed to be short lived and simply throw them away and buy a new one every couple years anyway.
Even using the winch as a front tie down on a trailer is not good for it with all the road jerking.

Old 08-17-2016, 09:32 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TLC
Even using the winch as a front tie down on a trailer is not good for it with all the road jerking.
That's basically what I did about 8 years ago. Probably only did it maybe 5 times but I guess that was enough to destroy the gears inside the winch. It seemed like a good idea at the time and using the winch was easy but I'll never do that again.