Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

How do you secure your machine?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 07:16 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you secure your machine?

For the time being I'm gonna have to let the old 4x4 set out back next to my garage. But I'm not too happy with it just sitting out in the open and am wondering what would be a good way to deter thieves. First it'll be covered of course from top to bottom. Second I guess I'll be digging big aSpam wordSpam word Spam wordSpam word Spam wordSpam word Spam wordSpam word hole and filling it with probably around 500lbs of concrete with a giant 1" diameter loop of rod sticking out the top. It'll actually be a huge U-bolt clamp I'll get from a local fastener company. Using this I'll try to physically secure it looping some hardened chain through what part of the atv I don't know.

Only other idea (which is a bit far fetched I'll admit) is to hook up some kind of alarm system by way of a cable like you see sometimes on store merchandise out for display. I assume it would be hooked up to a loud speaker. Again I know this one is going somewhat overboard but considering how easily the quad could be jacked it might be the one deterrent that keeps it safe.

Open to your suggestions

PS. Don't really live in a bad neighborhood but the neighborhood kids are through my back yard all the time especially at night...thus the need for security.

Old 08-03-2015, 08:29 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have two Trimax wheel locks similar to these and haven't had a theft in 7 years after having several quads stolen. I also have a Xena lock with built in alarm and Abus chain from Lockitt.
TWL100 - WHEEL LOCKS
» XSU69 U-Lock XENA Security Disc Locks, Alarms and Accessories for Motorcycles and Scooters
ABUS 14mm 6FT Maximum Security Chain with Sleeve: Lockitt.com

Old 08-03-2015, 08:43 PM
Moto Psycho

I should also mention that when I chain up my quad it's through the frame. If I put the chain through one of the bumpers it could be unbolted. It's chained to a couple of fence posts welded together with the longer one pounded down 4 feet deep and the top rail welded on. No one has tried to cut through them yet. The lock and chain I have can't be cut with bolt cutters. I posted a link to the wrong lock in the other post. Here's one with a built-in alarm. I got mine from Lockitt but they should be available other places if you want to shop around. » XUL210 Alarmed U-Lock XENA Security Disc Locks, Alarms and Accessories for Motorcycles and Scooters

Old 08-05-2015, 04:32 PM
Moto Psycho

Another thing you can get is a Dowco Guardian ATV cover. It has an alarm sold separately that goes into a pocket on the cover and you fasten it to the ATV. If someone takes the cover off it pulls the pin and sets off a 130 dB "warning". https://dowcopowersports.com/guardia...larm-26038-00/

Old 08-06-2015, 12:40 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you have a garage, seems like it would be best to put it in there. Park the car outside if you must. Garages aren't for cars anyway, they're for "stuff" lol. Having something out of sight and locked away is best.

Old 08-06-2015, 10:35 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

If it has a winch tie the cable to something strong and tighten it up. Most crack heads do not know how the free spool works and its just a extra hassle for them.

Old 08-06-2015, 10:12 PM
Trailblazer

Hell yeah that's all great advice! Good to hear about that alarm cover too. Been wondering how I can implement something like that into the mix. I'm sure since it'll be outside for a while I'll end up using a number of different deterrents...wheels off, crowbar locked into the brakes, alarm, etc. That winch cable onto something strong sounds like something worth looking into too.

Been hearing about a GPS something or other you can put on the bike that you can set up to tell you (text / email) when the device has been taken out of a certain pre-defined area. Anybody heard of something like this?

Old 08-07-2015, 12:53 AM
Moto Psycho

Originally Posted by toonces
Hell yeah that's all great advice! Good to hear about that alarm cover too. Been wondering how I can implement something like that into the mix. I'm sure since it'll be outside for a while I'll end up using a number of different deterrents...wheels off, crowbar locked into the brakes, alarm, etc. That winch cable onto something strong sounds like something worth looking into too.

Been hearing about a GPS something or other you can put on the bike that you can set up to tell you (text / email) when the device has been taken out of a certain pre-defined area. Anybody heard of something like this?
I haven't heard of anything quite like that but I don't keep up on tech stuff. Years ago I contacted LoJack about putting one of their systems on an ATV. They put them on motorcycles but said there wouldn't be any warranty on one on an ATV because it's more exposed to the elements or something like that. Even if you had it they only work in certain counties and states but they do have some good advice on their site. LoJack - Recovery System for Cars, Trucks, Motorcycles, Equipment, Cargo & Laptops - LoJack

Taking the wheels off and putting a lock on the brake discs is a good idea. I thought about doing that myself before I got the wheel locks. Some of the locks that are made for that don't have anything exposed where it could be cut off like on a padlock, and some have built in alarms but don't expect the batteries to last long. They don't in my Xena bullet lock especially when it gets cold and it takes 6 watch batteries, so it gets expensive keeping the alarm working. Amazon has lots of disc brake locks for sale. That's all I can think of right now. http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&page...20brake%20lock

Old 08-07-2015, 11:25 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If I had to park mine outside, I'd simply surround it with other stuff so someone would have to move all that stuff to get to it. You have to move that stuff yourself whenever you want to ride it though. Or just chain it to a big tree. A thief would either have to cut the chain or cut the tree down to get to it, either of which would discourage most thieves.

Old 08-11-2015, 05:16 PM
Moto Psycho

Once When I had my ATV chained up they cut the chain. Then I used a thicker chain and they cut the lock. Chaining it up isn't much of a deterrent unless it's a really thick chain and lock.

Quick Reply: How do you secure your machine?