Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Bought atv no title need help

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2016, 07:35 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bought atv no title need help

Really need some good advice here. Bought my first quad the other day. The guy didn't speak good English. He said he had a title and after 2 hours of driving there he didn't. He did hAve a pink slip from the dealer where it was bought used in 2013 from the guy he purchased it from. Also got a bill of sale and ran the vins. Will the pink slip bill of sale help me get it registered? I'm in PA. Isn't there a way to get a salvage title or bonded title ? Not really educated on the topic and I keep reading different things. Want to take it state game land. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Old 02-13-2016, 07:57 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

I'd check the dmv and see if there is a current title on record for that vin#. If there is one you may be able to find the original owner and deal with him on a possibly signing over the title,IF the pink slip is legit you got and the machine isn't stolen. Something doesn't sound right as most dealers would have had the title when they sold it to the guy you bought it from?? Titles should flow from owner to owner no matter how many times it's passed hands.Especially one this new.

Old 02-13-2016, 08:00 AM
Weekend Warrior

Yes the pink slip has the original guys name on it and it says he got the title on there. But no way to contact him. But I don't know if the guy I got it from got was only the second owner.but I ran the vin and it wasn't reported stolen ever . Came up clean

Old 02-13-2016, 08:13 AM
Weekend Warrior

And it's a 2001 . It was bought used in 2013 according to papers. Is the pink slip the certificate ofor origin?

Old 02-13-2016, 10:06 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

If it says "Certificate of Origin" or MSO as this is info directly from the manufacturer,then you can legally apply for a clean title in your name in most states,at least down here you can. Have done that several times in sales of machines to buyers from out of state. Just gave them the MSO and they took it from there. Every state has their differences though..

Old 02-13-2016, 04:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

It doesn't it's just like an agreement between the dealer and customer :/ . But the guy I got the bike from completely rebuilt it practically. Idk I'm going to try to go see if the guy I got it from has the number of the owner before him and see if I can backtrack. Doubt it though.

Old 02-28-2016, 12:52 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Rdorr91
And it's a 2001 . It was bought used in 2013 according to papers. Is the pink slip the certificate ofor origin?
2001 what? Make and model

Old 02-28-2016, 08:33 AM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

I live in Ohio and a title is required by law for each transfer of ownership and here they don't fool around. In Ohio they would go back and find the previous owners and fine them for title skipping. If you cant trace back to the last title you may just have a parts quad. Not familiar with PA but most states are becoming like Ohio.

Old 02-28-2016, 11:25 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Here in Illinois generally titles don't get renewed unless you trade in or sell to a dealer. Most of the time, the original title is simply signed and not dated so as the next owner is not required to transfer ownership. That's the case with my Grizzly. The previous owner did buy it used from a Yamaha dealer so that's the main reason his name was actually on it. All the recent stories I have heard about make me never want to buy a quad without a title ever again unless it is very old and didn't cost much.

Old 02-28-2016, 04:58 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by greg74
Here in Illinois generally titles don't get renewed unless you trade in or sell to a dealer. Most of the time, the original title is simply signed and not dated so as the next owner is not required to transfer ownership. That's the case with my Grizzly. The previous owner did buy it used from a Yamaha dealer so that's the main reason his name was actually on it. All the recent stories I have heard about make me never want to buy a quad without a title ever again unless it is very old and didn't cost much.
^^^^^ This is what I have always done ( open title ) but I have had a change of heart, and here's why. I purchased my son a new 2007 YFZ450, financed it. When I finally got it paid for, I put the title in his name...as a gift, and only cost him the title fee. The day came that he decided to sell it ( of course I gave him the money ...as dads do for their kids ). I sold it for my son, and he had signed the title and left it open and that's what I provided the new owner. I had recommended that he just leave the title open, and not have to pay the taxes and if he decided to sell it, simply pass the open title on. A few months later, in the state of GA, the ATV was stolen.
The new owner said that he did not get much cooperation ( could be heresay from new owner ) from the detectives because he did not have a title in his name therefore no real proof of ownership ( even tho we provided another bill of sale ). Anyway, long story short, about four months ago, I purchased a used ATV, with title, I went ahead a bit the dust and paid tax and fee's and had it titled in my name......just because of the possibilty of theft. Now, having said all this, it I were to purchase... say a super inexpensive ATV, and it had a title, I probably would not do the title name change....

Quick Reply: Bought atv no title need help