CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

My seat is slicker than snot. Anything I can put on it to help?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 11:21 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My seat is slicker than snot. Anything I can put on it to help?

Hey all,

I bought a 2000 DS 650 a few months ago and have been riding the Oregon dunes. This is my first quad, and first time riding the dunes. Having a blast! I'm a big dude so the DS fits me well.

The person I bought it from must have armor all'ed the seat because it is slick as snot. I have a new gripper seat cover coming, but it won't be here before my next ride. Is there anything I can do to my seat to take the slickness out? I already cleaned it with a degreaser to take the armor all off, but still. Should I scuff it up with some fine sandpaper?

Old 04-15-2015, 11:44 AM
Weekend Warrior

Here's a couple photos. I took the front fenders off, black seat cover is coming, black shock covers coming.

Name:  quad1_zpsch5rnivn.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  326.3 KB
Name:  quAD2_zps82yqqjnv.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  264.5 KB

Old 04-15-2015, 12:09 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

I'd try cleaning it with type of upholstery cleaner. Or you could try rubbing alcohol, but I have no idea what that may do to the color of the seat.

Old 04-15-2015, 01:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Scootergptx
I'd try cleaning it with type of upholstery cleaner. Or you could try rubbing alcohol, but I have no idea what that may do to the color of the seat.

I'll try the rubbing alcohol. I have some of that at home. I don't care if it ruins the color since I have a new seat cover coming. Worth a shot.

I think the original vinyl on the seat is just so old and weathered, and there is no softness to be found. It's dry, hard, and slick. Can't wait til the new vinyl gets here.

Old 04-30-2015, 09:29 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Bow Commander
I'll try the rubbing alcohol. I have some of that at home. I don't care if it ruins the color since I have a new seat cover coming. Worth a shot.

I think the original vinyl on the seat is just so old and weathered, and there is no softness to be found. It's dry, hard, and slick. Can't wait til the new vinyl gets here.

Sorry we're late to the game here. We have a product called 303® Multi-Surface Cleaner that could have done the job. Moving forward we have 303® Aerospace Protectant that can keep your vinyl looking new and lasting longer. The difference between this and some other products is that ours is water-based with no harmful silicone. This will leave more of a factory type finish vs a real greasy or oily finish.

303® Aerospace Protectant? for long-lasting finish and shine

If anyone is interested, please feel free to PM us and we will get a sample out to you.

Have a great day!

Last edited by STA-BIL®; 04-30-2015 at 11:34 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-30-2015, 10:20 AM
Range Rover

I would just get one of those anti-slip mats that are used for area rugs until your cover comes in. No chemicals and if you already have one laying around, no extra cost.

Old 04-30-2015, 10:52 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by STA-BIL®
Sorry we're late to the game here. We have a product called 303® Mulit-Surface Cleaner that could have done the job. Moving forward we have 303® Aerospace Protectant that can keep your vinyl looking new and lasting longer. The difference between this and some other products is that ours is water-based with no harmful silicone. This will leave more of a factory type finish vs a real greasy or oily finish.

303® Aerospace Protectant? for long-lasting finish and shine

If anyone is interested, please feel free to PM us and we will get a sample out to you.

Have a great day!
Thanks for the info, STA-BIL, I'll remember this info the next time I come across the situation. Good to know.

Originally Posted by quadsr4me
I would just get one of those anti-slip mats that are used for area rugs until your cover comes in. No chemicals and if you already have one laying around, no extra cost.
I ended up sanding the crap out of the old one, and it helped a bit. The next time I went out, I wasn't sliding around near as much. The new seat cover came in, and it is awesome. The gripper material is going to be a huge improvement.

Old 04-30-2015, 02:14 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Bow Commander
Thanks for the info, STA-BIL, I'll remember this info the next time I come across the situation. Good to know.

I ended up sanding the crap out of the old one, and it helped a bit. The next time I went out, I wasn't sliding around near as much. The new seat cover came in, and it is awesome. The gripper material is going to be a huge improvement.
No problem - always feel free to reach out with any fuel or surface treatment questions.

Old 08-28-2015, 07:56 AM
Former Sponsor

Hey everyone,

The link below will take you to our VIP Sampling program page. The VIP Sampling Network is a program recently launched at Gold Eagle Co to get some of our newest products in your hands in exchange for your honest reviews. As a program member, you will be periodically invited to choose products to receive, completely at no cost to you. This will be the platform we use moving forward to get samples out to everyone. It will take a little time to build a list of members to send products to initially so we anticipate samples for this program going out in the next few weeks. As that happens, we will update you on which of our items are available for review.

https://vipsampling.goldeagle.com/a/2272098024

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Have a great day!!

Old 08-28-2015, 10:39 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

Thanks for the link Sta-Bil!

Quick Reply: My seat is slicker than snot. Anything I can put on it to help?