Chinese Quads Brands such as Jetmoto, Yamoto, Redcat, V-Bike, Hi Bird, and Kazuma

Meerkat 50 remote kill switch

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 03:10 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Meerkat 50 remote kill switch

Hello,

I bought a remote kill switch for my sons atv. The directions are asking if the OEM Run/Stop switch is a normally open circuit or normally closed?

Also, would any one know what wire to tap into between the CDI and Run/Stop switch?

Thanks for any help.

Old 10-13-2009, 11:02 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I would bet they want you to say it is a "normally open" Run/Stop switch. The switch is open when running. and when closed the ignition system is shut down and the engine stops.

The real question is what is the definition of "normal". Is the "normal" condition stopped (shut off), or running? It spends a lot more time shut down (which is one definition of normal), but it is normally only useful when running. One could argue both ways.

Does you CDI module look like this?

Name:  50cc-cdi.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  19.2 KB
The wire you want to tie into is the "kill switch" conection. The wire often goes to several kill switches, any one of which when shorting this line to ground kills the ignition (and therefore stops the engine). [Other kill switches may include one half of the 2 pole ignition switch, the handle bar kill switch, and a tether cord pull kill switch.] Kill switch is just another name for Run/Stop switch.

Usually this wire is black with a white stripe on it, but not always.

Old 10-14-2009, 08:09 AM
Weekend Warrior

Pefect!

Thank You! This is what I needed!

Old 10-18-2009, 10:54 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hi LD.

I'm down the road in Fermanagh. I've just removed the kill switch from the rear of my daughter's quad - no longer needed. It's the standard type where you follow behind and pull a (long) cord if she goes mad! If it's any good to you you're welcome to it - send me a message. A lot of these wee quads are already wired for a rear mounted kill switch (a second run/stop switch in effect, just wired across the switch on the handlebars) so check for two spare wires at the back before you hack into the loom! Sounds like you are where I was a while ago so good luck to you in any case...

Cheers, Paul.