1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

foreign mini atv engine replacements

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 04:27 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default foreign mini atv engine replacements

looking for some info on a replacement engine for dinli 50 so far i have seen some scooter engines but worried about the electrical and wiring harness.

also a place for anyone with my same delimas
hopefully some good people out there to help out with the search

Old 03-23-2010, 07:30 PM
Pro Rider

why a replacement? just rebuild the top end its a 2 stroke correct?

Old 03-23-2010, 08:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

i am kinda throwing that idea around as the best and only option. but i was looking for replacement cause i thought it would cost about the same and that i dont have any experience working on these things. Im sure i could do it.

I would need some helpful guidence from some pros
i have it on a table tearing it a part. that is the whole atv is on the table i mean. I need some advice in what rebuilding the top end exactly means. Im thinking it is piston and cylinder head. Is there more? I am down to taking the cylinder off but think im getting in to deep without knowing what im doing. not sure how cylinder comes off or this is part of what i need to do.

-it was locked up tight (no info on how it happened)
-used marvel magic oil and deisil mix (it is still in it, i can turn with a rachet
now but still pretty tuff
=should it be drain and oiled?
will it then turn normally?

i need your guys help i can get this done. trying not to have to take to a shop

Old 03-23-2010, 10:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

back from the garage!

i dont think that it need the top end replaced i pulled the cylinder and turned the engine again with ratchet was still just as tuff.
what could be the problem?

something crankshaft?
crank shaft bearing?

Old 03-24-2010, 07:47 PM
Pro Rider

pull the head and jug off and check over the rings and cylynder, while its apart i would just do the top end job...but

so you think the crank bearings or something is messed up? was it sank in water ? causing the crank bearings to go bad? i know you dont have info on it.

have you found parts for it? is there any shops near by that could inspect your finds? its hard to give advice for this.

Old 03-24-2010, 07:53 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by hoytultratec
pull the head and jug off and check over the rings and cylynder, while its apart i would just do the top end job...but

so you think the crank bearings or something is messed up? was it sank in water ? causing the crank bearings to go bad? i know you dont have info on it.

have you found parts for it? is there any shops near by that could inspect your finds? its hard to give advice for this.

If it is indeed the crank bearings, you will basically need the bearings and seals for it and the bearings will need to be pressed off and back on. i would try and split the crank case and see where your at, just make sure you keep good track of parts while tearing it apart.

i googles dinli parts and found places with parts, my buddys kid had a dinli 50 and 80 and them little 2 strokes ripped pretty good, the 80 would smoke the neighbor kids 150 china qaud.

Old 03-24-2010, 08:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

thanks for the support

i have seen some replacement engine parts out there.

yeah i have heard alot of good things about the dinlis. and makes me feel better about the dam money im gonna have to spend on the thing.lol
and the 50 bucks to get it i thought was alost like getting it for free

the guy did say that they had rode it threw some water. i know they rode it pretty hard. they place that they went to was called deep water trails so probably was some water involved.

im kinda freakin out about how far im tearing in to this thing. i didnt want to have to take the engine completly out.

looks like im going to have to

just sucks all this work and never even have heard this thing run

Old 03-24-2010, 08:46 PM
Pro Rider

just take your time! if you feel your getting into deep, i know its tough spending money but if you can take it to a shop to get it done, it really wouldnt cost all that much since you got the motor out.

wish i could help more.

im sending you a p.m with a link.

Old 03-24-2010, 10:16 PM
Weekend Warrior

i have not puled the whole engine yet. i have been trying to avoid taking the whole thing out.

but think im going to have to take it all out.

would it pay off to take the thing in peices to save them time?
and i guess i would leave it up to them to tell me what i need then order

should i try and seperate case and inspect myself?
how do i go about this? ive seen special tools but i need the old fashioned ways.

thanks again

Old 03-28-2010, 01:15 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by jasonace99
i have not puled the whole engine yet. i have been trying to avoid taking the whole thing out.

but think im going to have to take it all out.

would it pay off to take the thing in peices to save them time?
and i guess i would leave it up to them to tell me what i need then order

should i try and seperate case and inspect myself?
how do i go about this? ive seen special tools but i need the old fashioned ways.

thanks again
If you are consider taking it to a shop, then remove the engine from the frame now. Just keep very very close eye on every loose part and where it cam from. Use baggies, masking tape, mark every part and location. These days cameras are everywhere. Take a picture, match it with the parts in the bag.

Typically, if you take any sort of engine in parts to a shop, most reputable mechanics will just point to the door. To get it running with all those used parts requires each part go back to it's original location due to the unique wear pattern.

Honestly, you seem quite new to tearing and down and rebuilding engines. If you must do it yourself then get a really good repair manual. This is more difficult for these chinese things but if you get one that is written for that specific engine, you can follow along step by step.

You have a large enough work area, clear it out, and place the engine on their and have at it. Remember to have plenty of small boxes, cans, plastic bags, markers, tape, etc. to record your journey.

But if you are lacking in a decent variety of mechanics tools, you have to assess the ability to tear it down properly, measure tolerances and such and assemble correctly. For example, if you don't have a torque wrench that is going to be an issue. If you have no micro measuring tools, that is going to be an issue. Things like ring compressors can be fabricated but even simple tool like this makes the job much easier and less prone to making problems for yourself.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: foreign mini atv engine replacements