Chinese Quads Brands such as Jetmoto, Yamoto, Redcat, V-Bike, Hi Bird, and Kazuma

Electric Choke 150cc Twister Hammerhead Confused???

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 01:36 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electric Choke 150cc Twister Hammerhead Confused???

Hi... I have a question regarding the auto choke or electric choke on my Twister 150 cc kart...On the electric choke there is a wire wrapped in black with a RED plug on it in the end of it... In the electrical box i have a plug it fits into...Is that supposed to be plugged in? When i plug it in after a few minutes it starts to make the engine sputter then it shuts itself off... It starts and runs good with it is NOT plugged into the electrical box, but as it warms up it makes the engine backfire and loss of power...Do i have a BAD electric choke or resistor? Any help would be great ... Thank you ... Bob

Old 01-13-2015, 03:14 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

Electric chokes work the opposite way to what you may think, i.e, they are normally on choke and come off choke only when alternator power has heated a wax "thermostat" inside them. If your buggy runs OK with it disconnected, the carb is set so it runs with the choke on all the time. Dismantle and clean the carb out with compressed air, try it with the choke connected, it should start "on choke" then run better as it warms up. If it doesn't, your jets must have been adjusted to suit running on choke all the time.

Old 01-13-2015, 10:30 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by merryman
Electric chokes work the opposite way to what you may think, i.e, they are normally on choke and come off choke only when alternator power has heated a wax "thermostat" inside them. If your buggy runs OK with it disconnected, the carb is set so it runs with the choke on all the time. Dismantle and clean the carb out with compressed air, try it with the choke connected, it should start "on choke" then run better as it warms up. If it doesn't, your jets must have been adjusted to suit running on choke all the time.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thank you for the help...i will try and do as you said and hopefully it'll work... My grandson loves this kart and that is what matters to me...Another question if i may, the headlights and the horn do not work, took out the switches and they seem to be fine, do not know where they hook up in the electrical box and did not , or know how to mess with that...Have a great day

Old 01-14-2015, 03:18 AM
Elite Pro Rider

I don't know your exact machine but answered this generically a couple of weeks ago for someone else:-
Quad lights are normally quite straightforward. Wire from ignition switch to light switch (or the ign and light switch can be combined). Wire from light switch to dip switch (or the light and dip switch can be combined) and a wire from light switch to the tail light. One main beam and one dip beam wire from dip switch to each headlamp.
Some Chinese machines have AC lights which only work when the engine is running, the wiring for this is a bit more complex.

Old 01-14-2015, 09:48 AM
Weekend Warrior

I don't know your exact machine but answered this generically a couple of weeks ago for someone else:-
Quad lights are normally quite straightforward. Wire from ignition switch to light switch (or the ign and light switch can be combined). Wire from light switch to dip switch (or the light and dip switch can be combined) and a wire from light switch to the tail light. One main beam and one dip beam wire from dip switch to each headlamp.
Some Chinese machines have AC lights which only work when the engine is running, the wiring for this is a bit more complex.
================================================
Thank you for telling me this and it makes sense, if you know what you are doing...Unfortunately i do not, you lost me at "dip switches"... thought maybe there was a hidden fuse somewhere i could pop it it out and replace it ( i can do that one)... Regardless of my inability of performing electrical tasks, this post is excellent as i find someone that knows how to do this i will show that person this post or another new member can take advantage of this ... Thanks ..Bob

Old 01-15-2015, 03:24 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Could be a problem with translation from English to American. We refer to the headlamp having "main beam," and "dipped beam" to avoid dazzle, hence "dip switch," don't know what you call it.

Old 01-15-2015, 10:56 AM
Weekend Warrior

Could be a problem with translation from English to American. We refer to the headlamp having "main beam," and "dipped beam" to avoid dazzle, hence "dip switch," don't know what you call it.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
That is fine I understood what you said.... I guess here we call it "connector wires" instead of "dip" either way it has helped out tremendously and I thank you for taking the time to answer my question... I have someone coming over that knows this stuff and I will show her this thread and get it right for me...Have a great day ...Bob...