Chinese Quads Brands such as Jetmoto, Yamoto, Redcat, V-Bike, Hi Bird, and Kazuma

Repairing wiring help, please

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2015, 12:11 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Repairing wiring help, please

Hi All,
I am trying to get this wiring back together so it can start properly off the battery. Unfortunately, my niece went head on with the bumper of my truck and smashed up the front. She is fine, just sad about the damage. Some of the wiring came disconnected and I did not see how it was originally. Right now, with everything disconnected it will start when it is plugged in through the charging port. However, it cannot be shut off by the key switch. It can be shut off by the run switch on the handle bar. I was able to determine the two black wires provide power. The other ones I'm not sure about. There is a two prong connection with matching wires that appear to go together. It looks like a bunch of the wires were in another connecter that got shattered. It most likely plugged into the other terminal. I'm lost. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.
-D
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 05-30-2015, 12:28 PM
Weekend Warrior

This is what it looked like before the crash.
[IMG][/IMG]Name:  2015-05-25%2018.46.18.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  295.5 KB

Old 06-06-2015, 10:59 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The "no ideas" connector is almost certainly the remote control module interface connector. The connector housing has space for nine pins, right?

The "no idea" wires are the wires for that connector. When the remote control module is disconnected three "classic" things happen:

1) The remote control functions don't work anymore (no brainer there).
2) The quad can no longer be shut off by the ignition switch - you have to use the handle bar kill switch.
3) Your battery no longer gets mysteriously discharged over 2 to 3 weeks when sitting unattended and not on a maintenance charger.

I don't know what you mean by " it will start when it is plugged in through the charging port". Starters take a lot of current to turn (about 20-30 amps). Your charger isn't going to provide that. That has to come from the battery. Do you have a fuse? Checked that? I wonder if the charging port is bypassing a blown fuse (which only feeds low power stuff - not the starter motor!), which allows you to satisfy the safety interlock stuff and allow the quad to fire up the quad normally with the starter fed directly off the battery.

I'd leave the remote unplugged. Insulate the hanging wires and don't worry about it. Use the handlebar kill switch to shut off the quad.

I think the whole concept of remote control is dangerously stupid. Low power radio control is inherently unreliable by nature (at least by human life standards). When you really need it won't work. Plus, your neighboring quad enthusiast training their kids just might just have the same remote code as you, and fire up your nieces quad when you least expect it. Or, just as she is climbing that first hill your neighbor kills the quad.

I don't know what the two pin connector is for. I would just plug it in to see what happens, but first make absolutely sure you have a system fuse coming off the battery feeding all the low power wires (the thins ones - not the starter motor cables), and that fuse is no more than 7 amps. That way you won't start a fire.

Last edited by LynnEdwards; 06-06-2015 at 11:01 PM. Reason: missing word
Old 06-07-2015, 11:06 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hey Lynn... Thanks for the feedback.. I have been messing within today. I have isolated all the wires coming of the remote and completely disconnected them. I checked the battery with my multimeter and it's reading 12.66. Must be good. I checked the fuse as you suggested. It's burnt.

I replaced the fuse, didn't hook up any wires. Turned the key and tried the start button. It fired up. YES! I am going to secure those other wires and we should be back in business. Thank you very much for the tip. You saved the day.. : )