General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

Backcountry Discovery routes via ATV?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2015, 01:00 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Backcountry Discovery routes via ATV?

Hello all,
I am a dualsport motorcyle rider and have recently started to think about ATVs as offering the best of both worlds - the comfort, safety, gear hauling of a jeep and the open air experience of a motorcycle.

However, I don't see any ATVs on long distance, multi-day rides such as the Backcountry Disovery Routes listed here...
Arizona Backcountry Discovery Route (AZBDR)
Idaho Backcountry Discovery Route (IDBDR)

or the big grand daddy of them all, the Continental Divide Trail

These trails are stitched together by local riders and from the looks of them, they can easily be done by ATVs.

My question: Is the reason that the long distance exploration doesn't happen because that ATVs are not plated and therefore not allowed on certain small sections of the trails that get into towns for gas? Or is it that the severely low MPGs that ATVs get makes them impractical for a 1000 mile jaunt? Or legislation? Can ATVs be plated?

I'd love it if you could point me to expeditions with ATVs (books, films etc). I know there is an Expedition section on this site, but its seems to be mostly a couple of guys having fun in their local area...

Regards,
Shridhar

Old 11-29-2015, 10:19 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

my question is have you contacted the local clubs and asked them? i would do a trail like that fuel would not be a issue

Old 11-29-2015, 04:04 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

This is from a Canadian couple's adventure riding from Canada to Mexico. Quadtrek.net

I don't know if it's still possible on a quad or not though. You'd have to figure out linking all the trails together through local riding groups for good maps.

Old 11-29-2015, 04:05 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

PS Look up Specta, here on ATVConnection.com for Utah riding help. He pops in from time to time and was a great host when a buddy, his oldest son, my oldest son, and I went out to the Paiute Trail.

Old 11-30-2015, 01:52 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I can't imagine making a 1000 mile trip on an atv but it would be quite an adventure. Atv's might not even be allowed on these routes. Dual sport motorcycles are legal to ride basically anywhere. There probably are sections where you have to ride on regular paved roads to connect them and in most places that's off limits for atvs. If you did plan on making a trip by atv it definitely would be a good idea to make sure.

Old 11-30-2015, 11:07 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by MooseHenden
This is from a Canadian couple's adventure riding from Canada to Mexico. Quadtrek.net
Moose,
thank you! Thats the kind of adventure quad journey i was looking for. I rode pretty much the same trail from Montana to Mexico border on my dualsport bike - the DR650. I know the trail is perfectly possible. Its just that the connecting points into the towns for gas and supplies might require getting on paved roads. I know montana is perfectly legit to be on quads everywhere. not sure of other states.

Thanks for the link. Wonderful reading ahead.

Shridhar

Old 11-30-2015, 11:09 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by greg74
I can't imagine making a 1000 mile trip on an atv but it would be quite an adventure. Atv's might not even be allowed on these routes. Dual sport motorcycles are legal to ride basically anywhere. There probably are sections where you have to ride on regular paved roads to connect them and in most places that's off limits for atvs. If you did plan on making a trip by atv it definitely would be a good idea to make sure.
Yep, that is exactly my fear - the connecting points on many of the dualsport routes go through highways at some point or the other and thats where I'd need a chase truck to load the ATV on to to get around. And that means serious logistics.

Old 11-30-2015, 11:55 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

Originally Posted by srileo
Moose,
thank you! Thats the kind of adventure quad journey i was looking for. I rode pretty much the same trail from Montana to Mexico border on my dualsport bike - the DR650. I know the trail is perfectly possible. Its just that the connecting points into the towns for gas and supplies might require getting on paved roads. I know montana is perfectly legit to be on quads everywhere. not sure of other states.

Thanks for the link. Wonderful reading ahead.

Shridhar
From my experience in Utah, I think most of the trail systems that would get you through the state have some way to go into town for food, lodging, or gas. We rode legally on pavement in a few towns that allow ATV's on the roads. Good maps are very valuable as they often show the allowed route into town. Utah is pretty much on a town by town basis.

Old 11-30-2015, 01:08 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MooseHenden
From my experience in Utah, I think most of the trail systems that would get you through the state have some way to go into town for food, lodging, or gas. We rode legally on pavement in a few towns that allow ATV's on the roads. Good maps are very valuable as they often show the allowed route into town. Utah is pretty much on a town by town basis.
Unfortunately, most states are not as atv friendly as Utah. I think they should be legal to ride on rural roads everywhere as long as they have insurance. Basically everywhere 49cc scooters are allowed. I think any stretch of road where the speed limit is 45 mph or less they are allowed. Bicycles somehow fall through some loophole and are allowed on state highways and that greatly annoys me. Having to swerve around some idiot thinking he's Lance Armstrong going to work is very dangerous as they can't maintain a safe speed like atvs can. Not to mention no tailights or headlights at night. How some moron thinks that these are allowed but atvs that can go fast enough and have enough acceleration to never be in the way is beyond me. Our state in particular could dig itself out of some of its debt by allowing atvs to be registered in every city and town. I'd pay say $50 a year to register my quad. If say 100,000 Illinois residents paid this $50, that's an extra 5 million to the state.

Old 12-03-2015, 05:21 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by greg74
unfortunately, most states are not as atv friendly as utah. I think they should be legal to ride on rural roads everywhere as long as they have insurance. Basically everywhere 49cc scooters are allowed. I think any stretch of road where the speed limit is 45 mph or less they are allowed. Bicycles somehow fall through some loophole and are allowed on state highways and that greatly annoys me. Having to swerve around some idiot thinking he's lance armstrong going to work is very dangerous as they can't maintain a safe speed like atvs can. Not to mention no tailights or headlights at night. How some moron thinks that these are allowed but atvs that can go fast enough and have enough acceleration to never be in the way is beyond me. Our state in particular could dig itself out of some of its debt by allowing atvs to be registered in every city and town. I'd pay say $50 a year to register my quad. If say 100,000 illinois residents paid this $50, that's an extra 5 million to the state.
this !

Quick Reply: Backcountry Discovery routes via ATV?