General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

2015 Honda Rubicon 4wd problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2015, 07:45 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2015 Honda Rubicon 4wd problem please help

I have a 2015 rubicon foot shift. I had to rebuild the front diff due to a tooth broke off of a gear. The guy who rebuilt it didn't put it back together right. It popped when the 4wd got in the slightest bind. Everything worked right but it popped. I took it apart myself and found that it wasn't together right. After putting everything back together exactly how the tech manual shows I put it back on the bike and hooked everything back up. Now the bike is showing a code. 9 long blinks and 1 short blin which is code 91.the 4wd won't lock in or nothing. I have checked all I know to check. Has anyone had this problem or knows how to fix it? Thanks in advance

Old 12-27-2015, 10:04 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Why has the thing not went to the dealer? a 2015 should have had some warranty on it. Have you disconnected the battery and cleared the code? if that does not work you may have gotten something in a bind or in the wrong position for the actuator.

Old 12-27-2015, 12:59 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Zrock
Why has the thing not went to the dealer? a 2015 should have had some warranty on it. Have you disconnected the battery and cleared the code? if that does not work you may have gotten something in a bind or in the wrong position for the actuator.
Exactly, sounds fishy to me. A 2015 model with this type of problem has to be a manufacturing defect. The front differential is a part on most Hondas that lasts the lifetime of the machine. The only other explanation might be extreme abuse, which would explain why the warranty wouldn't cover it.

Old 12-27-2015, 01:16 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by greg74
Exactly, sounds fishy to me. A 2015 model with this type of problem has to be a manufacturing defect. The front differential is a part on most Hondas that lasts the lifetime of the machine. The only other explanation might be extreme abuse, which would explain why the warranty wouldn't cover it.
No its not fishy. I took it to the dealer. Their exact words was it was a factory defect. But since the bike is snorkeled they won't do anything about it

Old 12-27-2015, 01:35 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Sorry to hear about that. I guess that answers the question as to whether a snorkel voids your factory warranty on a Honda. I assume it has larger than stock tires as well. That would be a more legitimate reason for them to refuse to work on it as that would actually cause you to break a front diff. The snorkel could be used as an excuse not to touch the engine, it doesn't seem related to a differential failure. I guess they just blame the snorkel on any failure, whether it really had anything to do with it or not. They see it as as a sort of non-factory approved modification. I'm sure its not exclusive to Honda, any new quad with a snorkel that wasn't factory installed will probably void the warranty. On some, it doesn't even take that much. Some, like Can-Am, don't even want you to use non Can-Am replacement parts. Even putting an aftermarket air filter like a K&N will void some even though it actually protects better than the stock air filter. I just watched a video on Dirt Trax youtube channel where they put a clutch kit on a new Wildcat Trail. I'm sure they just voided the warranty on that machine as well. Basically, the only way to insure you never void a factory warranty is to never change anything from stock the whole time the machine is under warranty.

Old 12-27-2015, 01:48 PM
Super Quad Patrol

I would get on the phone with honda. For one the dealer has to prove 110% that the snorkel was the reason the diff came apart. They could void warranty on a engine failure if they could prove it but not on a diff. Same goes with the diff even if it has bigger tires on it they have to prove 110% that the tires cause the failure. If the tires were the cause of the failure it would have broken more than a tooth. And Since they quoted you factory defect then they just proved right their that any mods to the machine had nothing to do with the upgrades. They stuck their foot in their mouth their. Do not let them take advantage of you go higher up and use social media to get the results you are entitled to.
I honestly dont know of a shop that will void warranty due to upgrades. they still get paid as long as they do not have to send in pic's of the failure and machine.

Old 12-27-2015, 02:02 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I think in most cases its not the shop that refuses to cooperate, its the manufacturer. Someone above them is telling them not to fix it. Which also means that if they do, the shop won't get reimbursed for the parts and labor. Shops don't work for free. Also I guess I didn't catch this the first time but a foot shift Rubicon doesn't exist. I assume you have a foot shift Honda Foreman. The Rubicon is either fully auto or can be changed to ES shifting with a turn of a switch but no foot shift option. Doesn't really change what happened, regardless of what quad it is. As Zrock said, they kinda admitted that anything you did didn't really cause the failure but unless they put it in writing, you can't prove they ever said it. The fact that you already did work on it yourself by taking it apart and putting it back together, there's no chance now of getting a dealer to work on it unless you want to pay them. Once you turn a wrench on something like that, its probably over.

Old 12-27-2015, 02:19 PM
Super Quad Patrol

I will still stand behind my comment no matter which is calling the shots. They must prove 110% that the modification was the cause of the failure. If it went to the court level the dealer/manufacturor would loose no questions asked. Iv worked for dealers in the warranty dept and the above fact they do not want the consumer to know.

Old 12-27-2015, 02:27 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

You might have a lemon law case. Something brand new shouldn't fail no matter what. That could be another alternative.

Old 12-27-2015, 03:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by greg74
I think in most cases its not the shop that refuses to cooperate, its the manufacturer. Someone above them is telling them not to fix it. Which also means that if they do, the shop won't get reimbursed for the parts and labor. Shops don't work for free. Also I guess I didn't catch this the first time but a foot shift Rubicon doesn't exist. I assume you have a foot shift Honda Foreman. The Rubicon is either fully auto or can be changed to ES shifting with a turn of a switch but no foot shift option. Doesn't really change what happened, regardless of what quad it is. As Zrock said, they kinda admitted that anything you did didn't really cause the failure but unless they put it in writing, you can't prove they ever said it. The fact that you already did work on it yourself by taking it apart and putting it back together, there's no chance now of getting a dealer to work on it unless you want to pay them. Once you turn a wrench on something like that, its probably over.
I'm not being an *** but a foot shift rubicon does exist. In 2015 they put independent suspension on the rubicon and also offered the foot shift option. They just started that this year

Quick Reply: 2015 Honda Rubicon 4wd problems