General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

Four wheeler shutting off around sharp right turns

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2016, 09:45 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Four wheeler shutting off around sharp right turns

I recently bought a 2006 Polaris predator 500 and all of a sudden it would not start I put a battery charger on it and it started up but then I rode it around and it stalled out on sharp right turns. I looked at the battery and saw that both cables were loose on the terminals I tightened up the positive cable then drove it and it shut off on a sharp right turn again. Could it be shutting off due to the negative cable being loose and when I turned it moved off the terminal?

Old 12-21-2016, 11:27 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why wouldn't you have tightened both terminals if you saw them loose?? I'd do that first then, while idling, turn your handlebars all the way to the right to ensure adequate cable free-play...

Old 12-21-2016, 11:56 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by DirtDevil101
Why wouldn't you have tightened both terminals if you saw them loose?? I'd do that first then, while idling, turn your handlebars all the way to the right to ensure adequate cable free-play...
I tried to tighten the ground but the nut was spinning with the bolt inside the terminal I tried to keep it in place with a screwdriver ended up breaking the terminal.

Old 12-21-2016, 11:59 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Time for a new battery...

Old 12-21-2016, 12:02 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by DirtDevil101
Time for a new battery...
I know I am getting one. But is it possible threat it was stalling around sharp right turns because of the loose ground cable on the terminal ?

Old 12-21-2016, 12:18 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Jakeballentine12
I know I am getting one. But is it possible threat it was stalling around sharp right turns because of the loose ground cable on the terminal ?
YES it can stall out because it can lose voltage to the ignition. Like mentioned if you can't tighten this nut(stick a small screw driver behind the nut and try to tighten)just get a new battery nut and bolt from a dealer or break down and get a new battery.

Old 12-21-2016, 12:20 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
YES it can stall out because it can lose voltage to the ignition. Like mentioned if you can't tighten this nut(stick a small screw driver behind the nut and try to tighten)just get a new battery nut and bolt from a dealer or break down and get a new battery.
it would stall out when it was already rubbing it would only stall out on sharp right turns though

Old 12-21-2016, 12:24 PM
Trailblazer

It stalled out when it was already running and only around sharp right turns but I don't think it would need the battery power/ I don't think it would matter if the connection is loose when it's already running. Correct me if I'm wrong

Old 12-21-2016, 01:02 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Jakeballentine12
It stalled out when it was already running and only around sharp right turns but I don't think it would need the battery power/ I don't think it would matter if the connection is loose when it's already running. Correct me if I'm wrong
This atv is a dci ignition sysytem and and has to have battery power at all times for the ignition..A loose battery cable can cut power and the engine can die.Older Polaris models were simply magneto triggered and didn't depend on the battery for an ignition source. Fix the problem by either tightening the bolt or just get a new battery and go from there. If it still dies after that,you may have another problem.

Old 12-21-2016, 01:11 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
This atv is a dci ignition sysytem and and has to have battery power at all times for the ignition..A loose battery cable can cut power and the engine can die.Older Polaris models were simply magneto triggered and didn't depend on the battery for an ignition source. Fix the problem by either tightening the bolt or just get a new battery and go from there. If it still dies after that,you may have another problem.
ok thanks so much I appreciate the info