General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

ATV Rollover Threat

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 11:08 AM
Back Country Explorer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default ATV Rollover Threat

What side hill incline is safe to traverse with a standard utility type ATV (not wide stance sport models). I used to have a Kubota compact tractor that I would mow the ditch in front of our place. I learned that 15 to 20 degrees was about the max side hill angle for this tractor. What side hill angle does a standard utility ATV start to feel like it wants to roll?

Here is a picture of a wrecked ATV where the rider exceeded that side hill angle and the machine rolled all the way to the bottom of the hill. I understand there were no injuries.

David

Attached Thumbnails ATV Rollover Threat-1612-wreck.jpg  
Old 01-04-2017, 11:54 AM
Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey David,

An all-in-one response about acceptable slope angles to your question is a "slippery slope"

All quads can be different as if you recall in another thread of yours, I mentioned that it is understood that a Grizzly can be a bit more tippy than other quads in the same class. Each quad will be different in regards to rider weight, tire sizing, quad center of gravity, axle length, weight distribution (including using body english), etc. can all play a part when encountering off-camber trails. That even goes for the same model quad as a lot of trail riders have a tendency to start modding or adding extraction gear, the weight balance and rider weight will alone change from OEM quad to same model OEM quad.

So, having said that, it is best to start out on easier trails to better hone your skills and learn how to shift your weight around to compensate for off-camber trails you will ultimately encounter. If you get into a precarious situation where you feel nervous/unsafe, have a fellow rider hold your rack on the unweighted side of your quad to get you SAFELY through that precarious area. Ultimately, OHV trail riding is always about safety first. If I go out on a trail with someone new and feel they don't have safety in mind first, then that will be the last ride I do with that person. Obviously, never do anything you feel would be unsafe.

Old 01-04-2017, 02:38 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The owners manual that came with my 2001 Arctic Cat scared me enough that I took my time seeing what the machine would do safely. When riding on a side hill, keep your weight on the uphill side, or according to the manual you'll die a long and painful death, haha. Thanks to that manual, however, I always think before charging into a bad situation. If you think 700 lbs of ATV landing on you will be ok, it won't.

Old 01-04-2017, 02:42 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Can't really add to what RedRocket has said.

As said, experience plays a huge part in the equation. Body mass is another. A guy my size (335 lbs.) can influence a quad more than a lighter rider. But, I also cause the center of gravity to change as I'm 6'3". A shorter rider wouldn't affect the center of gravity as much as I do. I've gone on hills and through mudholes with huge ruts and rocks in them that required me to stand with both feet on either side of the machine. Having someone to help you through tough sections is fantastic. It's better to humble yourself than try it in pride and roll.

So much of it comes with experience and getting used to what your machine can or cannot do. Take your time. If you're on a sidehill where you feel the uphill side of the quad starting to pick up, and you're leaning into the hill as much as you can, it's probably a good time to stop and back out of there if you can.

Old 01-04-2017, 05:28 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Best bet is to keep a cool head and common sense, if you were to ride on a steep incline, why would you even consider allowing the machine to roll you down the hill? Keep your weight uphill and if anything would happen get off on the uphill side...machines can be replaced. I have ridden on slopes where my entire body was on the uphill foot rest..just in case!!

Old 01-04-2017, 07:20 PM
Back Country Explorer

Thanks guys. Certainly riding within your own comfort zone is required. And shifting weight to the uphill side will help. I also think if you feel tippy, then steer downhill a bit to stabilize the situation.

I remember my engineering friends at Toro had a "tilt table" where they would test the tip angle of their commercial mowing equipment and the like. They knew the tip angle, and they could adjust tires, wheels, tread, cg. and the like to improve performance if necessary. Tractor roll overs on side hills is not uncommon.

Judging by the narrow tread of an ATV, I'm going to start with shallow side hill angles. I assume the machines are fairly tippy due to the narrow track dimension and higher center of gravity. I don't want my machine rolling down a steep hill. I'll explore it further when I take my ATV rider's safety training.

David

Old 01-04-2017, 10:11 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I avoid side hills whenever possible. You have the right attitude starting with more shallow angles. Your owner's manual should tell you what they consider to be the maximum angle.

Old 01-05-2017, 08:01 AM
Back Country Explorer

Hello JumboFrank: Thanks for the post. You know, owner's manuals usually don't address a specific angle. The manual says ride safe. My Kubota compact tractor did not address side hill specifics either. It's like redrocks and moose were saying; there are just a lot of variables involved in a rollover incident. I was asking you experienced ATV riders about your experiences with side hills and what you might advise a new rider. Your comment that you avoid side hills where possible is good advice in my view. Here in mountainous Colorado, that will be difficult in some situations.

I'm no road designer, but I noticed in Iowa and Minnesota that the ditches were all angled about the same where possible. That angle from the "flat road" down to the bottom of the ditch was about 15 degrees. I had an angle indicator on my tractor. Mowing a ditch by the road was about all I wanted with my Kubota tractor. 15 degrees was in the yellow zone, 20 degrees was in the red. I won't be taking my ATV on anything steeper until I get a feel for it. One big variable is an uphill rock, or a downhill hole that significantly increases the angle of the machine all of the sudden. Bouncing around on a sidehill increases the risk of rollover. Certainly body english can play a big roll with your weight on the uphill side.

I sense ATVs are rather unstable machines in spite of their name. Less stable than a car, less stable than a dirt bike. Steep uphills, steep sidehills can be dangerous on an ATV. And with all the power the machines have nowadays, you can get in trouble pretty fast.

David

Old 01-05-2017, 09:31 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Lots of good information in the above posts. It all comes down to rider skill and comfort.

Old 01-05-2017, 10:31 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Keep in mind that even if you obey the side angle limit, obstacles and holes and create a small local spot where the ATV could tip over. You could be driving on a trail with a 20degree side incline, but the tire on the lower side goes into a hole at the same time as the tire on the higher side goes over a rock, and all of a sudden your angle is more like 35 degrees and you're tipping over!