Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

05 Rancher differential oil change

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 06:12 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 Rancher differential oil change

Would like to change the oil in my 05 Rancher differentials. Can't find the manual. Anyone have the process and oil type?

thanks

Old 09-10-2008, 10:57 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hypoid Gear Oil SAE 80, is what the owner's manual says. As I recall, Honda's own gear oil is 80W85 (???). I am not sure where the GL4/GL5 thing comes in here, but it must be "hypoid".

I run Maxima ester-based Synthetic Gear Oil, 75W90, GL5.

http://www.maximausa.com/produ...bes/synthgearlube.asp

Rear-There is a large filler cap at the top on the right side. Drain bolt is on the bottom right side. Check bolt, is on the lower left side. It takes 2.0 oz of oil.

What I do is overfill it just a little, until it comes out of the check bolt hole. Take it for a very short ride, the check it again.

Front-The large cap is the filler hole and also the level check hole. Drain is on the lower right side.

Fill it to the bottom of the large hole. Take it for a very short ride and then check it again.

Old 09-10-2008, 10:58 PM
Pro Rider

The gear oil type is written on the differential I think, but most 75 or 80w gear oil should be fine. I use synthetic in mine and have for awhile.

I'll post the process I use on my foreman, yours should be similar, rear end first:

Remove the skid plate under the differential. this will get you access to the 10mm drain bolt at the bottom of the diff. Also remove the 10mm oil level check bolt (which on mine is marked on the diff) and the cover for filling at the top of the diff I think its 17mm.

Drain all oil oil, flush with a little new oil and let drain for awhile

Reinstall the drain bolt and fill the diff with oil unitl it flows from the check bolt. Reinstall the check bolt, and reinstall the fill hole cover, and reinstall the skid plate....your done

Front:

Remove the 10mm drain bolt at the bottom of the front diff, mine is accessable through the skid plate as its not removeable.

REmove the fill hole cap, again I think its 17mm, flush with some fresh gear oil and let drain for a good while.

Reinstall the drain bolt and fill the diff until the oil level is at the bottom of the fill hole and just starts to run out. Fill slowly as the fill hole is close to the ring gear and sometimes it takes awhile for the thick oil to run all the way in. When its full reinstall the fill hole cover.

When I'm done I use brake clean to clean any spilled oil from the bike....oil on the frame cant be good for the enviroment, but when the bike is clean its much easier to spot an oil leak on your next ride.

Old 09-11-2008, 12:12 AM
Range Rover

Quick question the idiot at the Honda dealer gave me 80/85w BUT it says transmission on it not hypoid gear! Did i get the wrong stuff??

Old 09-11-2008, 09:19 AM
Red Rider

It must be hypoid gear oil! Hypoid cut gears are way harder on the oil than are straight cut gears, so the oil has to have a monster high-pressure/anti-wear additive package.

Honda Shaft Drive Oil, 80W90 is what you want, if you can't find the equivalent somewhere else. Here it is:

http://powersports.honda.com/t...rive+Oil&TheGoodsDir=5

Old 09-11-2008, 07:02 PM
Trailblazer

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: sparks1032

Quick question the idiot at the Honda dealer gave me 80/85w BUT it says transmission on it not hypoid gear! Did i get the wrong stuff??</end quote></div>

It's in a black bottle............

Ron

Old 09-11-2008, 09:35 PM
The Facility

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: sparks1032

Quick question the idiot at the Honda dealer gave me 80/85w BUT it says transmission on it not hypoid gear! Did i get the wrong stuff??</end quote></div>

Depends on the brand, BUT it must have the proper spec for differential oil.
If it's HondaLine stuff, the oil is in a small black bottle. If you indeed get transmission oil and not gear oil, it will be in a much larger red bottle reading "TRANS OIL"
If it isn't Hondaline stuff, it doesnt matter as long as it carries the Hypoid name.
So many lubes out there and rarely do they label products the same so it's hard to know for sure without a little more information.

I've always ran the Yamalube 80W90 Hypoid oil with friction modifiers,....which is a HUGE plus on any Honda 4x4. Reduces clutch chatter and makes steering easier on hard packed surfaces, while at the same time, making for smoother power transfers at the front wheels. The friction modifier additive does not affect the rear differential at all.

You can also use any other brand oil and add the friction modifier to it. Half an ounce is being conservative. You can buy it at most GM dealerships and I believe the big auto parts houses like O-reileys and Autozone have it to.

You will be amazed at what difference the modifiers will make in the front end.

Old 09-12-2008, 12:18 AM
Red Rider

If you got trans oil in the red bottle, it is the wrong stuff. It is transmission oil for 2-strokes and the TRX450R and CRF450/250/150 dirt bikes:

http://powersports.honda.com/t...W%2F85W&TheGoodsDir=0

Knowsalot- I thought the Suretrac torque-sensitive limited slip differential had a mechanical design, not a clutch pack like in the old days (????). If so, what does the friction modifier do, and is there any risk of turning that diff into an "open diff" by mistake ????

Actually, there was a guy in here that had an old 450 utility (old style diff), an he was having problems with the front pulling. He had replaced the bearings and done every other thing he could think of, so suggested some friction modifer, and that fixed him up.....

Old 09-12-2008, 02:27 AM
The Facility

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: reconranger

Knowsalot- I thought the Suretrac torque-sensitive limited slip differential had a mechanical design, not a clutch pack like in the old days (????). If so, what does the friction modifier do, and is there any risk of turning that diff into an "open diff" by mistake ????

Actually, there was a guy in here that had an old 450 utility (old style diff), an he was having problems with the front pulling. He had replaced the bearings and done every other thing he could think of, so suggested some friction modifer, and that fixed him up.....</end quote></div>

RR,...You are dead right regarding the front diff on that model. I dont know where my mind wandered to in that post. It doesnt use clutch discs at all.

As for the "open diff" effect using the modifiers,... I cant be certain that it couldnt possibly happen,...on an aged machine perhaps, but every TRX300 in this area used the stuff back in the day and I dont recall any negatives on using the friction modifiers. Only benefits.

Old 09-12-2008, 04:49 AM
Range Rover

It is the RED bottle THANKS GUYS!!! Going to get the correct stuff soon!

Quick Reply: 05 Rancher differential oil change