Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

honda 300ex part 2

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 12:30 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default honda 300ex part 2

i made another thread, the other one was long.
I tried to turn it over by usinga scredriver to the solenoid, you might know what i mean.
It did nothing either.

Old 12-14-2008, 02:33 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: lilc9928

i made another thread, the other one was long.

I tried to turn it over by usinga scredriver to the solenoid, you might know what i mean.

It did nothing either.</end quote></div>

hmm nothing and you jumped the cylinoid ..i think your saying it dintend turn over..now it is narowing down to the battery ,,the starter ,or juist a bad connection between the two..
..have you tried jumping the starter directly...like using jumper cabels one end hoked to your car/ truck and the other end the (-) hooked to the frame or engine ..and touch the (+) to where the large red wire goes into the starter...you can do this with the car/truck turned off ..to see if the starter works...
if the starter does work duble check the connections and try the screw driver trick again...if that fails ..get a battery
if the starter dosn't work could be from sitting up...remove it and try to turn it with some pliers and a rag (to protect the starter gear)if you get it turning or it turns freely ..try using the jumper cabels again but clip the (-) to the starter housing ,and put your foot on the starter before touching the (+)

Old 12-14-2008, 05:04 PM
Trailblazer

ok, i tried what you said with jumping it. Nothing happened.
I know the batteries good because i had it tested a couple days ago and it was almost a fully charged battery.
I tried to take off the starter, i didnt want to take the whole left side of the casing off. I tried to just pull the starter off but part of the motor was blocking it from coming completely off.
I dont think theres anything wrong with the starter because i got the atv to turn over 4-5 times after i put that clutch cover on. but it would pretty much randomly turnover whenever you left the starter switch on. but that was with the old wiring harness.
U think the solenoids bad?

Old 12-14-2008, 08:02 PM
Pro Rider

the cylinoid will click if it is working .....there should be two bolts coming from the top of the cylinoid both with large 8ga red wire ...one goes to the battery and one to the starter....now there should be 1 more smaller wire....if (+) is connected to this wire it will engage the starter...if the cylinoid is good
.sorry i spelled cyloniod wrong in the last post...lol..its probly still wrong

Old 12-14-2008, 08:08 PM
Trailblazer

solenoid is not clicking or anything.
Does this mean i need a new solenoid? Oh and what are the other two wires on the solenoid? one is green with a little red stripe on it i think and the other wire is yellow with a little red stripe, do you know what they are?

Old 12-14-2008, 08:08 PM
Trailblazer

solenoid is not clicking or anything.
Does this mean i need a new solenoid? Oh and what are the other two wires on the solenoid? one is green with a little red stripe on it i think and the other wire is yellow with a little red stripe, do you know what they are?

Old 12-15-2008, 09:08 AM
Pro Rider

not 100% on the other wires one of them should be the start wire and the other probaly goes to a safty switch(netural switch,or somthing)
do you have a manual yet ? if not buy a book first Clymers are about 30.00 and honda oem manuals are about 60.00 ...will save you a lot of frustration and money on parts you dont need ....both books have a entire section on electrail trouble shooting ..including wire color charts,and testing the different componets
..I've got a clymer but my freind is using it to work on my 01 engine..or id look this up for you

Old 12-15-2008, 09:23 AM
Pro Rider

heres the bypassing the netural safty switch pictures....
here im holding the two wires i was talking about..(left hand side of 300 )
Name:  011.jpg
Views: 1073
Size:  57.9 KB
here..it shows the two connectins from thr right being unused..and the two from the left pluged together.....
Name:  012-1.jpg
Views: 2513
Size:  66.9 KB
.now ive hooked a spare piece of (red ) wire to my new connection
Name:  013-1.jpg
Views: 707
Size:  55.8 KB
now im sipmly grounding the other end of the spare wire to a frame bolt.
Name:  015.jpg
Views: 4293
Size:  62.6 KB
..this one is showing my netural light being lit up...
Name:  016.jpg
Views: 670
Size:  69.5 KB
please note the key switch has to be on

Old 12-15-2008, 06:26 PM
Trailblazer

ok now i knw what your talking about...I followed the wires to see where they lead to and they lead to nothing. but i tried what u said to do but it did nothing either.

I started getting board and had no other thoughts so i pulled the solenoid off of the chinese 250cc atv and put it on the 300ex...It turned over for maybe 2-3 seconds than stopped.

So what do you think about that?

Old 12-15-2008, 11:59 PM
Trailblazer

well im pretty sure i need a new solenoid.
But anyways i justed won a solenoid, starter cable, cables that go to the battery and the fuse holder thing (i dont know what its called) on ebay, But i picked all that up for $20.50. Good price. I ordered a manual last saturday from my dealership so its a honda service manual, it only cost me 38.15. That should come in buy saturday or monday. My solenoid i just bought should come in around the same time. I hope it will start after this.

not to get off topic or anything but i remembered the guy telling me it smoked just a tiny bit. im thinking when i have to rebuilt it maybe bore it out to a 330 and get a hot cam stage 1 and a AMR stage 3 rev box and coil, curtis sparks exhaust, of course a jetting kit, and maybe some other things. My plan to do this is this spring or the summer.

Quick Reply: honda 300ex part 2