Go Back   ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community » Brand Discussions Area » Honda
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to ATVConnection Forums!
Welcome to ATVConnection.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the ATVConnection Forums community today!

Old 11-20-2010, 04:43 PM
Weekend Warrior
Garage is empty, add now

Default 09 Rancher headlight problems

So ive only had my Rancher 420 for about six months now, everything working great till the first snow hit. Went out and fired it up to take it to storage and the headlights came on for a few seconds but when i switched to brights and back to dims they shut off. The display lights still work, tail lights work, just the heads died. I checked fuses and played with the switches for a while but nothing. Any ideas?
Old 11-20-2010, 10:31 PM
Weekend Warrior
Garage is empty, add now

I take it noone has had this problem?
Old 11-21-2010, 05:39 PM
Pro Rider
Garage is empty, add now

Check the battery cables at the battery have seen them loose and corroded causing all kinds of issues
2008 Dodge Ram 1500
1997 Dodge Ram 1500
Old 11-21-2010, 07:34 PM
Weekend Warrior
Garage is empty, add now

Everything is clean, battery, cables, all connections, battery is fully charged,. Everything else works great, it starts right up, flip the switch for lights and the display lights and tails come on just fine but the heads dont. They look ok but idk. They only have 60 hours on them at most. Ive never blow both at the same time but i guess it could happen.
Old 11-22-2010, 11:19 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Garage is empty, add now

I assume you've checked the bulb with an ohm meter or whatever?

You might also measure battery voltage with the engine running and reved up. Maybe the voltage is too high.

Patio Hauler 394F 5th wheel toyhauler
Dodge Ram 3500 Laramie dually w/jake
Old 11-23-2010, 07:18 PM
Trailblazer
Garage is empty, add now

My friend had this problem with his 07. The headlight switch burned out due to a loose connection. He just removed the HI-LO beam switch wires and put his headlight wires on that switch. I didn't get the details from him, but his lights are back working.
Old 11-23-2010, 07:50 PM
Weekend Warrior
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS420 View Post
My friend had this problem with his 07. The headlight switch burned out due to a loose connection. He just removed the HI-LO beam switch wires and put his headlight wires on that switch. I didn't get the details from him, but his lights are back working.
Did his display lights still work on the switch? More info please and thank you, All my tools are in storage from moving so ill be taking it to the shop later this week. They said if its "manufacture" defect its covered so im hoping.
Old 11-24-2010, 12:13 PM
Weekend Warrior
Garage is empty, add now

I used to be a car mechanic, and sometimes the simplest things would be the problem...so please do not be offended!

In the owners manual it says to be sure and turn the key off instead of using the engine stop button on the left handlebar, otherwise the headlights will stay on. Are you using the key to turn it off/on? (Likely...yes, you are doing it properly...in that case, please ignore!...no offense intended!)

If you are using the key properly, etc. It is either a smashed wire or a relay that is sticking. I would look for pinched wired in and around the handlebar area, or if these bikes have a headlight relay I would look at that.

Hope this helps...again, please don't be offended! Just making sure to eliminate the simplest items!
Old 11-24-2010, 11:47 PM
Weekend Warrior
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.E.T.O. View Post
I used to be a car mechanic, and sometimes the simplest things would be the problem...so please do not be offended!

In the owners manual it says to be sure and turn the key off instead of using the engine stop button on the left handlebar, otherwise the headlights will stay on. Are you using the key to turn it off/on? (Likely...yes, you are doing it properly...in that case, please ignore!...no offense intended!)

If you are using the key properly, etc. It is either a smashed wire or a relay that is sticking. I would look for pinched wired in and around the handlebar area, or if these bikes have a headlight relay I would look at that.

Hope this helps...again, please don't be offended! Just making sure to eliminate the simplest items!
That was the best thing ive heard all day. You made me laugh and after this weather (-25) It was great. Im hoping its just the cold but ill find out next week.
Old 11-25-2010, 06:25 PM
Weekend Warrior
Garage is empty, add now

Well i got it thawed out today and the lights came right on, Guessing a relay doesnt like cold.Thanks for all the ideas
Old 11-25-2010, 06:25 PM

Tags
09, 2008, 2010, 420, atv, burned, headlight, headlights, honda, problem, problems, quit, rancher, switch, wires, working