Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

500 Rubicon sputters

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 04:19 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 500 Rubicon sputters

Hey guys, got a problem here. My quad sputters when I pin the throttle In neutral or drive it does not matter. I did the code retrieval and it said it was the control motor so I changed it, same problem after I replaced it. So I took it for a spin it does it over and over then I pinned it in neutral, hits the rev limiter now so I went in drive...same thing till I pin it in first gear. 2nd 3rd 4th 5th will spit an sputter sometimes it will stop doing it and run fine for a few seconds. I did clean the carb as well. It sounds like she starves for fuel but i've switched the carb from another 07 rubicon and still does it, switched gas tanks as well...changed angle sensor, control motor. Heres a video on what she does. IMG_1564 - YouTube I am not letting go of the throttle it is full throttle, thats all it does. I've changed the spark plug as well and coil. Mods are jet kit, aftermarket exhaust and that is about it. I Still haven't fixed the problem for a few months now...the dealer is pretty far away from me with no vehicle to take it there..

Old 03-24-2015, 03:04 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Rubi Down!!

I'm hoping you see this reply and can tell me what the solution was to your Rubicon sputtering at WOT. If I were to describe my symptoms and attempted solutions, It would be easier to cut and paste your whole paragraph. I hope you or someone else will see this. Thanks!

Old 03-25-2015, 10:22 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Did you change the spark plug and fuel filter if it has one?

I have heard of people with sputtering in reverse due to their rev limiter/Overide acting up. Maybe there is a way to bypass the rev limiter entirely to eliminate it.

Here is a post about it. sounds like your ATV likes to have a healthy battery as well to run good as well. http://www.hondaforeman.com/147-rubi...g-reverse.html I noticed yours is on a charger.

Old 03-26-2015, 03:12 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

We had an early Rubicon with rodent damage to the wiring. It would miss and frap above tickover. I recon it is a "limp mode" so it will get you home when there is something wrong with the gearbox electronics. A new angle sensor cured it temporarily but it blew that within a week. We couldn't find the fault in the loom so ended up getting a new loom as well.

Old 03-26-2015, 05:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

Great suggestions, here's what's been done so far. Carb rebuild including a diaphragm replacement, TPS replaced, ECM replaced, angle sensor tested and well with in specs, battery voltage at 12.63v, coil replaced, spark plug replaced, fuel tank removed cleaned and inspected. The sputter is so consistent and predictable that I do not believe its a fuel issue. Resistance and voltage tests on the entire harness revealed nothing out of spec. I'm afraid to think one of the parts I've replaced is also bad but I seriously doubt it because the issue is way to consistent and predictable. I guess I'll try a new angle sensor, just seems like a waste of money since the current one is within spec. More suggestions are always appreciated. Thanks!!