Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Rancher water riding tips

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2002, 10:15 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,
I'm new to 4 wheeling and want to keep my new Honda rancher 4x4 es in good condition. When crossing water deeper then the handle bars how should I prep before the ride and take care of my quad if it sallows water or stops working after the water adventure. I've also heard of building a snorkel for atvs. Does anyone know a website for a how to on that? Is it recommended?

Thanks
Eric

Old 07-27-2002, 10:35 PM
Pro Rider

you want to make sure water can not get into the carb or lights, starter, and anything electrical. After i take mine that deep i always change the oil and every once in a while i do all the fluids. When i am in water that deep i usally do water wheelies because i am not running with a snorcal, if you are talented enough to do this and keep it there you do not need a snorkal (as long as its handle bar hight or less, you could only get away with only about 6-8 inches more,to be on the safe side keep it at handle bar hight). In the event that you do stall it and the engin dus take in water tip it on its back end for about 2 or 3 hours, change the oil (you probably will have to change the oil more then once), you should also do the diff fluid, if it stalled and the water was over the gas take you should probly drain it so that the next time u ride you dont wind up in the middle of no where with watered down gas, i like to put a bottle of dry gas in after i go that deep too, and finaly just change the spark plug. have fun[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-28-2002, 04:47 PM
Pro Rider

Water above the handle bars, I wouldnt go in water that deep, but maybe it is ok to take the utility quads trhouhg stuff like that. If i was you, after takin it trought water that deep i would be checkin my oil to make sure it dont have water in it before i went any farther, if the oil is a milky color, i wouldnt be drivein it, i would have someone take me to get some oil and change it right there.

Old 07-28-2002, 10:32 PM
Trailblazer

Go to www.Highlifter.com. I have a rancher with a snorkel and all my vent hoses are run up to the top of the snorkel, it is about 1 1/5 over my handle bars, it hasen't gave me anytrouble yet. It has been like that for about 4 months.

Old 07-29-2002, 06:25 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

i bought some spacers last week from Highlifter, spoke with a guy in Tech named Tommy-nice guy too.
he said that they don't sell snorkles anymore because of the liability issue.
i wanted one for my 700!
good luck in your search,
-MT

Old 07-31-2002, 09:57 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thank you for you help ... I think it’s probably best if I stayed out of deep water. I wouldn't want to hurt my baby [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]