Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

flipped my Foreman RGHHH!! Please help

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2002, 10:30 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just flipped my foreman going up a huge hill in the woods. I am thankful that I only have minor scratches and almost no damage to the bike, but this whole thing really has me torqued off anyway. I am new to this sport by the way.

Why did I flip it? I had a really hard time the first two times up the hill. barely made it in 2nd gear with 4wd on. Tires spinning near the top, fighting for traction, front end rising, etc. My pals on a 400ex were flying up it no prob. The SP700 with us made it first in 4wd then in 2wd. No prob. I even saw a 250 Recon make it one time.

This is a hill you need momentum to make it up and there is only a short area to gain speed. It gets very steep on the top 1/3. It is a serious hill, I saw no one try it without seriously sizing it up. Some of my pals have ridden 20+ years. I no my prob is not enough speed at the bottom. In 2nd gear I can't go fast enough at the bottom so near the top the quad is biting and all the wheels are spinning and the motor is revving high(scary). I'm afraid I will run out of power in 3rd. Any ideas? Surely if a recon can make it a 450S can, right? Should I downshift mid-hill? Please help.

Old 07-29-2002, 11:39 AM
Trailblazer

No offense, but hillclimbing is all about the rider, not the machine. As you said, even Recons were making it. It sounds like you shouldn't be climbing that hill just yet.

Old 07-29-2002, 12:42 PM
Range Rover

Thanks, but I pretty much surmized that. How do I get better?

Old 07-29-2002, 12:58 PM
Trailblazer

Going by how you describe the hill, starting in 3rd and downshifting sounds like the way to go. It's possible you may not need to downshift if you get enough speed, however, if you do need to shift, make it quick!

Old 07-29-2002, 02:46 PM
Range Rover

Thanks!!!! I'll try it. Wish me luck. I'll practice on some smaller ones first.

Old 07-29-2002, 04:40 PM
Trailblazer

I've taken my rancher 4x4 up a hill that I probably couldn't even climb on foot with only 1/3-1/2 throttle in 1st gear and the rancher didn't even sound like it was pulling hard on the engine. I would think the Foreman would climb a 90degree slope if there was traction. You must not have been leaning foreward on the bike to move the CG up to the front tires. You should have to get a running start, the Foreman has enough power to take you from a dead stop in 1st. That gear ratio is almost 1/2 what 2nd is.

gary

Old 07-29-2002, 05:05 PM
Range Rover

Gary, In 2nd the engine was taching out, but all tires were spinning out near the top on rocks and ruts. I don't think anything could have gotten up this without momentum from the bottom. Thanks Chet

Old 07-29-2002, 05:06 PM
Pro Rider

I frequently downshift mid-hill. There is a hill we ride, it is hard packed, slick, steep, and long, with an overhang near the top. I hit the bottom in 3rd, downshift to 2nd about 1/3 of the way up, and then downshift to 1st just before the overhang. You have to deliver the power just right or you will wheelie the bike out from under you. Then when your rear wheels hit the overhang, the back end bucks way up in the air. It's just darn scarry!! On this hill, a big heavy 4X4 would be a real liability! If you try to grapple for traction (as opposed to using momentum) you couldn't make it, and there is no way you could hold a stalled out bike on this hill. You would roll it for sure.

Anyway, sounds like a momentum problem to me???? Practice shifting mid-hill on some small stuff, then work your way up. Just remember what gear you are in. I have seen people make the disasterous mistake (on an autoclutch bike) of thinking they are in 2nd when they are in 1st, and they downshift to neutral and go rolling backwards down the hill.

Old 07-29-2002, 06:21 PM
Range Rover

Thanks, I have a plan now. Can't wait to try it.

Old 07-30-2002, 11:56 AM
Trailblazer

It must be a matter of the looseness of the traction of the hill. It's just like when your stick a car or truck in snow or mud, the last thing you want to do to get out is to spin your tires. Let the tires get thier grip and don't let them spin out. Ok, going up a hill SLOW may not be as fun, but it is safer, and I wouldn't expect the engine to lug down.

gary

Quick Reply: flipped my Foreman RGHHH!! Please help