Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

need some electrical advice......

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2002, 09:40 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so im ridin along on the 250 recon whenshe quits n firin, the way like when you hit the kill switch, only i didnt. i smelled a distinct electrical smell which quickly faded preventing me from bluetikin it out. so i checked the fire, very weak. checked the harness, looked good. swapped icm's with a bud, same thing. swapped coils, same thing. so do to the process of elimination and my buddy not wanting me to split his case and swap stators and ipg's, i figure it had to be the culprit. so i ordered it from service honda and currently (3 weeks later) am awaiting its arrival, but i am still wondering what that electrical smell could have been and whether or not it was indeed the stator or ipg. thanks alot in advance.

Old 08-12-2002, 01:32 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Without looking at it, it is hard to say. However, it looks like you experienced what my electrician uncle told me about when I was 5 or 6. Although he doesn't remember this, I have yet to forget it. After a small transformer for a video game melted the windings, it smelled like electrical smoke. He said that when anything electrical is made, they put in a small amount of smoke. If you let that smoke out, it doesn't work anymore. It made sense to a child and kept me from asking questions.