Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

83 CR500R ????????

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2002, 06:09 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys Quick queston for you. What do you know about an 83 CR500 ? I've always been told that the 86 was the best one ever built but what about the 83 ? the reason why I ask is This winter I have plans of stuffing that engine into an 86 TRX250R frame , and I want to know if there was any problems with that year that anyone knows of. + I can pick it up real cheap.

Old 09-05-2002, 10:33 PM
The Facility

Actually, the 1983 model was a CR480 and not a 500.

This engine is also aircooled....as is the 1984 CR500.

Go with the 1985-up CR500 engines. They are liquid cooled.

Old 09-06-2002, 12:11 AM
Trailblazer

Hey knowsalot if a guy was to pick it up just to bag around like hillclimbing and trails kinda like just a beater bike that I don't mind banging up a bit , do you know if they were a decent bike in their day ?

Old 09-06-2002, 12:55 AM
The Facility

They were great bikes, but when the new liquid cooled versions came along, the older ones just faded out as desirable bikes.

For what you are going to be doing, the air cooled motor should be fine.

Just remember that either way you go, vibration will be a problem unless you spend some time experimenting with engine mounts. An anti-vibe steering stem along with pro Taper bars will also help out.

Have fun with it and post some pics when you get it all together.

Old 09-06-2002, 02:30 AM
Range Rover

knowsalot: if i remember wasnt the kick starter and the sprockets reversed on some of those older cr-480's, makes a lil more of a challange lineing up the sprockets

Old 09-06-2002, 02:38 AM
Pro Rider

I had toyed around with the idea of stuffing a CR500 motor into a TRX frame also.

But after much research, I discovered the afore mentioned problem with vibration that Knowsalot mentioned.

Seems that no matter what you do to eliminate or reduce the vibration, it is still quite excessive. Even to the point of cracking frames and engine mounts.

Most of the TRX500R's that I have seen did not last long, and were a maintenance nightmare. The majority that I know of were sold by their owners.

Therefore, I have opted to just stick with the 250, or get the bigger kits that still mount to the stock bottom end (which incorporates a counter-balancer).

Old 09-06-2002, 02:39 AM
The Facility

dunerash,

I did some searching through pics and found one of a CR480.

You are right. The chain is on the right side of the engine instead of the left,...definatly making it a hard engine swap into a 250R.

Nice catch.

Old 09-06-2002, 02:43 AM
Range Rover

Knowsalot just means i have to much ol crap layin around [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 09-06-2002, 02:15 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for your input guys , is the KX500R a real shaker too ?? back to the CR .. what about the bike itself were they known as a fix and repair daily machine , constant problems ? the reason I ask is I am selling my Zilla right now and I don't want to be without a ride for the rest of the season and I can pick it up fairly cheap , I just want something climb some big A$$ hills and roost through some skagg .You know how the early Zillas were famous for head gaskets and crank bearings that's kinda of what I am concerned about.will it be able to take some abuse ?

Just got some cool Pics Of My Zilla : dzelmer@telusplanet.net

Old 09-10-2002, 01:46 AM
Weekend Warrior

I owned a 83 CR 480 about 10 years ago and now own a ported 91 CR 500. So here is my opinion. The new liquid cooled 500 has more top end power of course. Better suspension and better brakes. All this is a given, technology improves most things. The 480 engine is practically bullet proof. I had my first one and rode it for almost a year when the rear wheel bearing went out and chewed up the hub. I found a second 480 for $700, my dad tore the wheel down and got the measurements of the new hub then welded up the old one and machined it to match. I had two bikes for the price of the rear wheel assembly(almost). Any ways I let my older brother use the one(he was a poor college student)and I kept the other. We lived on a farm and used them all day long for work. At night we would head for the mountains. We probably averaged around 25 miles per day 5 days a week! Both engines went 2 years without needing an overhual. I cant even remember changing sparkplugs. Probably did but it wasn't a common deal. Anyways the 480 has super low end grunt and decent hold back for the downhills. If you can get used to the left handed kickstarter it is a great bike. If that engine was in a new chasis it would be one of the best mountain bikes made. I ride the sand a lot now so I wouldn't trade for the liquid cooled power, but if the price is right you wont be dissapointed. Sorry for the life story. I hope this helps

Quick Reply: 83 CR500R ????????