Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

What I think about Hondas new SPORT quad.

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2002, 04:57 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 2 stroke vs 4 Stroke argument is kinda like the Z28 vs Mustang argument. In the late 80's early 90's 5.0's Dominated. Now, a new Z28 will lay a MAJOR a$$ whoopin(about 1.5 seconds) on a new Mustang(and an even bigger one on a 5.0). I mean like a Banshee would put on a Honda TRX 90. LOL What I'm saying is in a few years the 4 stroke will be King.

I personally like the Banshee. It's (for the most part) been king a loonngg time. But everyone knows if any of the mfgs. really wanted to make their 4 strokes king now they could. Just look at the sport bikes. No really bad 2 strokes there. I say Suzuki just says screw it and build a Hybusa four wheeler or puts their GSXR1000 motor on one. Yea, I can really see that happening.lol

Old 09-10-2002, 11:47 AM
Pro Rider

A 685 Maico engined quad will be available sooner than you think! In fact I will be sitting on one at Glamis, soon . We're working on a unique frame for this monster.
I find it hard to believe the people on this board have not been talking more about the Fischer Cycle article in ATV Sport. He has developed a frame that uses a crate CR 250 engine. His design cuts the vibration down to acceptable levels and his design does not even use rubber-mount tecnology. This is your "new 2 stroke racer". With parts scavaging, you can put this bike together for under $7,000 easy.
Anyways, the "RPM 700" will be available soon. So if you like the biggest toys and want to be unique.....and wait till you see the plastic.
BTW, with the improved breathing and exhaust options which the quad format offers, we are confident that the quad will be 90hp+ without bumping the compression.
Watch the magazines, it's coming, FAST.

Old 09-10-2002, 11:47 AM
Trailblazer

I would imagine that Maico has made some improvements in the last 30 years.
Also, ATK is very good about having parts for their bikes.

dan

Old 09-10-2002, 12:27 PM
Pro Rider

Maico...now there's a name I haven't heard in a while. Glad to see them coming back, if they are. A friend of mine, an older gentleman, used to race a '81 or '82 model Maico 490 motocross bike. At that time, that old air cooled monster had a documented 64hp and dominated the local motocross tracks. Just recently, I read that the Maico 490 was listed as one of the very best motocross bikes ever built, period.

Old vs. new. The reason newer model Mustangs are as fast (and even faster) than older models is because they manage their power better. The older Mustangs certainly had more power, but they didn't manage it as well as the newer ones. Today's cars have better traction and other methods of better putting the power to the ground where it's most needed. Besides, if you go back and study the numbers, you will find that even the older Mustangs (like a lot of older muscle cars) weren't really that impressive. Over the years, their reputations have been exaggerated to the point of ridiculous.

Did I step on anyone's toes? Sorry. Yes, I have ridden in some of those old cars, and yes, I have had my neck snapped back upon acceleration to the point that I couldn't have reached a $50 dollar bill if it had been taped to the dash. I've rode in a '73 Corvette (certainly not the most powerful model ever made) that would pop a wheelie. Still, performance wise, I'd take a new one over an old one any day.

So, if the topic is quads, why are we talking about cars? Because some of the same principals that apply to cars apply to quads. While I agree that I hate as much as anyone to see the old quads fade away, they were not the end-all-be-all of ATVing. Let's be honest here...those old 250Rs, Tecates, and Quadracers were the start of serious sport quads. They were the beginning. They can't possibly be better than what's available today.

The Quadracer made its mark by being the first serious racing quad. The TRX250R made its mark by combining great performance with superb handling as well as good ol' Honda reliability. The Tecate 4 was a force to be dwelt with as well. But, like I said, those machines were the beginning.

Engine wise, those old two strokes had plenty of snap and wonderful acceleration. Comparatively speaking, machines with four stroke engines of the same displacement felt like a sick slug in terms of performance. Reliability and maintenance was another issue though, and that's where the four strokes won out. Two stroke engines are much more prone to failure. And to be totally honest, not all of those old two stroke machines had the high horsepower figures I have seen quoted here and there. The Quadracer 500 had an impressive HP rating, but its reliability was always an issue.

Fortunately, four stroke engines have begun to receive the R&D development they deserve, and they are beginning to show performance characteristics more akin to those of two stroke engines. The wonderful thing is that they have retained their reliability as well. They are cleaner burning engines as well, something that is a big topic in today's world of extreme political correctness.

I hate to see the old two stroke engines go. For the life of me, I can't understand why they can't make them cleaner for today's standards. Or tomorrow's standards, rather. As someone mentioned, Bombardier is trying to accomplish just that. Way to go! I sure hope that works out. But, if it doesn't, I have faith the manufacturers will find a way to make the new four strokes deliver the needed performance.

In the meantime, the four stroke quads continue to just get better and better. The newer and better designed frames and suspension packages available today house and manage the engine's power better than ever. The fourstroke engines available now are turning out more horsepower than ever before, and have the acceleration to match.

And I know it can be argued, in the case of the TRX250R, that it is still the best racing quad ever made. Look at the facts. In its time, it was the very best combination of performance and great handling. But for many years, there has not been another machine available for serious racers. They've had no choice but to use the old TRX250R or a TRX250R-based machine. When the 400EX came out, racers turned to it. Now, with the introduction of the Z and other sport quads, it is my prediction that in the coming years you will definitely begin to see the 250R less and less. It's sad, I know, but racers have a choice now. There are NEW machines available now.

Back to the old vs. new. It wasn't so long ago that I heard my Dad make a remark to someone regarding his Mustang BOSS and my brother's Nissan 240. "That Mustang has a ton of power, but the way their makin' them Jap cars now, it don't make that much difference anymore. On acceleration, that dern four cylinder Nissan will nearly walk away. It just doesn't spin its tires!"

Yeah, the old was good. Very good. But the new is better. And getting even better.

Old 09-10-2002, 07:40 PM
Range Rover

Its all about money. The reason why you dont have high powered stock vehicles is because of money. If it aint for lawsuit happy people, its people who run the show, and get slipped money in their pocket to shut up. Same as politics, you'll go with the majority or you'll find yourself out of a job pretty quick.

More and more control is being put on people everyday and they are too ignorant to see it.

And of course, if its not any of the mentioned, its the drunks and hero's that screw up and get killed, or hurt someone else.

Old 09-11-2002, 12:24 AM
Trailblazer

I don't think Maico has plans to sell any bikes in the US, but if you have lots of money, you can import one from Europe.

ATK has been using Rotax engines(CAN-AM) in their bikes for about 20 years. Rotax is going to quit making some of these engines, so ATK has a deal with Maico as an engine supplier only.

dan