Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

TRX300 tech pages, faqs?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2002, 10:17 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm working on a '88 TRX300 for a buddy of mine. I'm a good mechanic when it comes to cars, so I know the basics of internal combustion and all that, but I'm lost when it comes to these quads. I thought this thing was a 2-stroke, but all the literature I see on the net says its a 4 stroke? Anyways, it doesn't start. It feels as if the compression is good, as its just about thrown me off the bike a few times when I wasn't ready for the kickback. The starter gear is toast, so I'm stuck with the kick start for right now. It doesn't even begin to fire. I do have spark, I sprayed some WD40 (no ether handy) down the carb throat and directly in the cylinder via the spark plug hole. Nothing. Am I basically going to have no chance of getting it started with the kickstarter? Is there some sort of basic tech page for these machines somewhere? I'm hesitant to buy a repair manual for it, as he's thinking about selling it as soon as we get it running.

Old 09-11-2002, 10:56 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have found a couple of places on the net explaining how to adjust the valves, jet the carb, do oil changes.... all just regular maintenance type stuff. From the looks of your post, it sounds like you are going to have to do some more serious work on the engine than just maint. so I don't think you will find that kind of detailed info without getting the manual.

Another thing to consider is the fact that if your friend does sell the quad, the $20 or so spent on the manual will be well spent because with it you can get the quad in top shape and perhaps get a better price. If they deceide to keep it, then now they have a manual to use in the future.