Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Is the Rincon disappointing?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2002, 06:58 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I waited for almost a year to get the new Rincon. I was the 1st on the list and was the first to get one in the small town I live in. From the moment I rode it I wondered if it was all I had been hoping. I am very Pro Honda and have owned many Honda 4 wheelers but I think Honda missed the boat by not putting a low range on this thing. If they had added low range it would be the perfect 4 wheeler. I know they wanted to save weight but guys with 4 wheel drives look for trouble and without low range it is somewhat disappointing.

Old 09-17-2002, 07:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

how fast does yours go?

Old 09-17-2002, 07:04 PM
Trailblazer

Is that all that ever matters, top speed? Then why don't you buy a Sport machine.

Old 09-17-2002, 07:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

Cause I need a 4x4, but i also want to be able to go fast. well faster than all the other 4x4's LOL

Old 09-17-2002, 08:19 PM
Trailblazer

i have owned a polaris sp 500 for three years and no problems, but i myself looked foward to an automatic irs suspension honda rincon 650 i even think i had my wife convinced that i needed one, i was just disappointed that it is still not a true 4wd same old system, or did i misread the article? does it have a differental lock or something? i hope you enjoy yours but i think i'll wait till they have a true 4wd or at least a differntal lock.

Old 09-18-2002, 12:24 AM
Trailblazer

Nope, not dissapointing. The engine braking is not as good as some other ATV's. My Sportsman had better engine braking, but that's all it had better. The Rincon is a very sweet machine. Why does everyone seem to want the locking diff? What is it that's so gotta have about it? I ride in Idaho and have NEVER needed it. Is it just for extreme mudding and tractor pulling or is there some other reason for it? Or is it just the fact that you can say you have it?

Old 09-18-2002, 01:35 AM
Pro Rider

skipshot, the differential lock is something that I wish my machine had, because it would be a huge advantage in deep snow.

Old 09-18-2002, 11:19 AM
Trailblazer

You need diff. lock for deep snow, heavy duty rockclimbing, extreme mudding. My buddys Kodiak 400 is a beautiful bike, but my Magnum has crawled out of messes that his couldn't, due to all 4 wheels pulling.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 09-18-2002, 11:41 AM
Trailblazer

3TV,
I have owned all of the Honda Foreman's and a Sportsman 500 prior to purchasing this Rincon. I personally really like a 4x4 that is technical. What I mean by that is that when you are climbing or descending you can make a difficult turn on a hill at slow (technical) speeds.
Don't get me wrong, the Rincon is a very polished 4 wheeler, it just doesn't have that low gearing that I like.
The Rubicon tranmission is so good that I very seldom use it in ESP. The tranmission on the Rincon to me is geared so high that I use ESP to shift when I think it should shift. I have read several articles that say they thought the automatic was always searching for the right gear and I would have to echo that. The shifts are very pronounced, and not smooth like the Rubicon, however, that is what Honda wanted - I just don't know if I like it that way.
It is the smoothest riding, fastest 4x4, I have ridden. It also steers easier than any 4x4 I have ridden, and it is typical high quality Honda.
I do not plan to sell it but I am going to rent a Prarie this weekend to see how I like it in comparison. Does this help at all?

Old 09-18-2002, 12:14 PM
Pro Rider

I too was interested in purchasing a Rincon to round out my atv collection. But I think I'll wait a year ot two to see if they "upgrade" it by adding lower gearing, front locker .... I think it's a nice machine just a couple of things I would like to see on it.

I think you'll really like the P650. It has been a great machine for me.

Quick Reply: Is the Rincon disappointing?