Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

I hate to say it but the Big Bear 400 will out do a Rancher anyday...

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2000, 08:37 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had
a hard time choosing between a Big Bear and the WELL known Rancher, but I got the bear...I think it is better because the seat is more comfy it is just AS reliable and the Rancher has tendency to DIG HOLES in the mud rather quikly..the bear is 400 and is cheaper than the rancher...
Just my opinion so don't bless me out...Ü

Old 01-20-2000, 08:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

How much cheaper could it be? 50cc isn't that big of a deal.I think the rancher looks better, if that matters! I guess it is all a matter of opinion and what you like.Its your life so live it the way you want too! Good luck on your purchase.

Old 01-20-2000, 09:05 PM
Pro Rider

I know specs ain't everything, but they're something to go by. First off, the Big Bear is not cheaper than the Rancher, it is the SAME as the Rancher ES.

Suspension travel: 5.9" for both
Ground clearance: BB-9.6", Rancher-9.7"
Dry weight: BB-556, RancherFE-535

What you get with the Big Bear is a bigger engine (386cc compared to 329cc), dual hydraulic disc front brakes, and a bigger fuel tank (4 gal. compared to 3.4 gal.).

What you get with the Rancher is that cool LCD display, full floorboards, and electric shift (assuming you go for the Rancher FE).

I think they're pretty close. Both are good machines.

Old 01-20-2000, 09:57 PM
Pro Rider

im the same with rooster they look a whole
lot nicer and i thinke there realibility and
there durability is much better than the big
bear and the RANCHER S dos not hav the LCD
moneter thoe and i realy now my honda to and I am just making a suggestion that you go with the rancher's [es i don't care for]
[s i'd go with] but it's you'r choice so hav
a good one.

Old 01-20-2000, 10:45 PM
Pro Rider

I think the bigbear400 is a great machine..but i have not had the pleasure of riding or even seein the rancher up close
bye tha way...has anyone ever had any problems with the Electric shift on any honda quad?

Old 01-21-2000, 12:37 AM
Trailblazer

Let me clear this up...I chose the Big Bear so don't say make a good choice...i have chosen the bear and I luv it...

Old 01-21-2000, 12:56 AM
Pro Rider

Is this like Jeff's "Timberwolf" of Highlifter fame??

Old 01-21-2000, 12:56 AM
Pro Rider

Is this like Jeff's "Timberwolf" of Highlifter fame??

Old 01-21-2000, 10:21 AM
Pro Rider

Isn't the new BigBear 400 just an older Kodiak in "Bold New Graphics"? It seems awful close....
I've ridden with a new BigBear only once.. It was/is a nice machine,..But the guy that was riding it was having one problem after another.. It was brand new, that day.. and we all went out for a "night ride" First, one headlight failed, we kept riding... Then everytime he started up a long hill, it would cut out.... no big deal, it just meant that somebody always rode right behind him going up hills to shove him on up to the top... Then is started backfiring when he would shut it off.. not the normal Yamaha "spit" out the exhaust, but a LOUD bang... No big deal, we just left it running..
After about 10 miles thru the woods and turn around to head home, the other headlight went out... Fixed that with my big Mag-Lite and some electrical tape..
About a mile from the truck, it died.. No electric start, no nothing... Battery was DEAD... It wouldn't pull start(no spark) we towed it on in....
I talked to him about 3 weeks later, and he was riding a new Honda 450S.... I don't know what that means... but I haven't seen that BigBear since....
I DID like that RED plastic though...

Old 01-21-2000, 11:03 AM
Pro Rider

One of my riding friends sold his Honda 300 and bought a BigBiear400 and put 26" SuperSwampers on it. When we were riding in fairly deep mud and water, he had problems. In 1st gear, he could turn the tires, but could not move forward very quickly. In 2nd gear, his engine would lug down and he would lose forward speed, even if he held the throttle all the way down. I had 25" vampires on my 300 and was in 2nd gear. I kept catching him and bumping into him. I had to go around him twice, cause I did not want to lose my momentum. He sold it and bought a Foreman 450es with 27" vampires. Now, he passes me .

Quick Reply: I hate to say it but the Big Bear 400 will out do a Rancher anyday...