ATV Trailer or Deck - need opinions

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2001, 06:46 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,

I'm going to be purchasing two utility quads in the next couple months (Arctic Cat 500 Autos). These will be my first quads (i've done lots of trail riding but I've never owned my own quads before)

I'm trying to decide what method I should use for hauling these beasts around. Bascially I'm considering the following methods;

1. Pick-up truck box deck (side loading): Load both quads sideways on the deck.

2. Pick-up truck and single quad trailer: One quad in the box, one on the trailer.

3. Dual quad trailer: Both quads on the trailer.

What are some of the strengths & weaknesses of each method?

I like the idea of having both quads on a deck in the back of a pick-up truck, that way I don't have to worry about dragging a trailer around (or storing it for that matter), but I have heard this method is very dangerous and unstable. Would I need a 3/4 ton pick-up for this method? (yes, I have to buy a pick up also!).

Thanks, I look forward to hearing some of your opinions - these forums have been a great resource for information on ATV'ing for me.

Cheers,

Old 02-03-2001, 07:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

I would opt for the trailer. First of all is the safety & stability issue you raise. Ramps that high are ok if you have no alternative but you gotta be real careful not to have them slip out from under you. Second, if you yank a trailer along behind you, it leaves your pickup bed available for all the extra gear you want to take along. Third, trailers are very useful for utility use when your not haulin the 4 wheelers around. In addition, hooking up is not a big deal with a 2 space trailer. That's just my opinion. The final choice will have to be what you really feel most comfortable with.

Old 02-04-2001, 12:08 AM
Pro Rider

I guess I'll suggest the other way. I have the aluminum ATVPickupCaddy (www.atvpickupcaddy.com), although I got the in-line (versus side-loading) version. A riding buddy of mine has the other version from Advanced Recreational Products (www.saf-tload.com), which is steel. They are not dangerous or unstable, still allow you to haul stuff in your bed (as the racks sit on the rails), don't need to worry about trailer tires, bearings, and lights. And if you're hauling a travel trailer, it's a great way to bring the ATV's. They all recommend at least a 3/4 ton truck when using a double, although you can use a 1/2 ton with helper springs. Plus, some folks won't be able to tell how you got them there, so that can cut down on theft opportunities. E-mail me if you want some more info....
Oh, yeah, the ramps are locked to the ramp runners via a thick bar. No way is the ramps going to get "kicked" out.

Old 02-04-2001, 07:50 AM
Pro Rider

Yet another option--pickup "bed extender."

An adjustable bracket fits in the 2" X 2" towbar receiver, supporting a sheet of plywood (or any other extended load) extending from the pickup bed.

Load one ATV against the cab, allowing the plywood to extend far enough to hold two wheels of the second quad. "Flag" the end of the rear quad just as you would any extended load, for safety purposes.

Maybe not cataloged, but J.C. Whitney sells these devices (pickup bed extenders), otherwise known by names such as "Hitch Hand," "Hitch Helper," etc.
A fabrication shop could make a custom model easily using some 2" X 2" square stock.

Disadvantages? The "stock" bracket assembly extends straight back from the drawbar box, then makes a right angle vertically to hold the bracket. The lowest part of the assembly extends behind the pickup at the level of the drawbar box, dragging the ground when the pickup front wheels climb too steep a curb or ditch bank. I had my welder cut the right-angled bend in the bracket and re-weld a couple of 45-degree angles to minimize bottom-dragging (you'll have to torch a 45-degree angle on the bottom of the vertical support member, too, for this to work). If you drive on mostly smooth and level roads, the lower end of the bracket assembly extending behind the truck will be less of a problem.

Anyway, a pickup bed extender provides one solution to the problem of carrying two ATVs in one pickup. A "store-bought" bed extender costs around $ 100, a fabricator might build one for less. No other modifications are required, and the bed extender can be easily and quickly removed and stored when not needed. You should have a trailer hitch with a strong connection to the frame for best results; a towbar box attached to the bumper only is apt to bend.

Variation on a theme: the tilting ATV carriers that fit in the towbar box and carry the second quad "sideways."

Diogenes

Old 02-04-2001, 12:30 PM
Pro Rider

You might think of getting a covered trailer. That way you can keep the quads in the trailer and they'll be ready to go. They're easy to secure, they keep the garage space open, and you could put a camper on the truck for sleeping or use the enclosed trailer as a camper. I would think about how much your quads weigh before putting them on top of your truck bed rails. Unless you're already used to driving with that much weight that high, you may have a problem.

Old 02-04-2001, 01:04 PM
Range Rover

check this out, I just bought one and love it..

WWW.TritonTrailers.com

I got the side load one.. light weight and easy to load

Old 02-04-2001, 10:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

I just bought a snowmobile trailer for my quad. It tilts down, so you can drive right up on it. I can fit 2 quads on it with no problem. It will hold 1700 pounds and ran $995 new. When the trailer is empty, I can unhook it and push it around, it is pretty light.

Old 02-05-2001, 09:49 AM
Pro Rider

Wow, great to see so many diverse answers. I have always wondered how those pickup caddies worked. I have a 5x13 trailer for both of mine. It makes loading and unloading a dream. I drop the gate on it, drive them up and put the gate back up. Thats it. Good luck with your new ATVs and new truck!

Old 02-05-2001, 11:08 AM
Range Rover

CanadianViking:

I'll try to give you what advice I can. As you can see by my signature I own an AC 500 auto also, but only 1.

I haul my quad quite a bit, especially during the winter to plow snow. If you are ever going to haul at least one of the quads in the truck bed, I would suggest an 8' bed. The only way to get to get the AC in the back of a 6 1/2' bed and close the tailgate is to back it in (so you don't put the front bumper through the back window). With the 8' bed, I have room for the quad, plow, ramps, gas cans, shovels, etc., that I need to plow snow.

If you look into the side loading system, you'd want to look into a 3/4 ton pickup, 8' bed. My personal opinion is that loading and unloading with this system would be too unnerving for me.

I have a 16 x 7 flatbed utility trailer that I use if I haul more than 1 quad, it works well for me. It was also inexpensive, I bought it used for $500.

Hope I helped some. Good luck with your new Arctic Cats

Old 02-05-2001, 01:33 PM
Trailblazer

I bought a2001 8 x 10 Triton tilting trailer for $995. It's very stable on the road, and nice for "dumping" the quads off, but in mud and snow, it's very difficult to get them back on. I don't use the tilt anymore to get them back on, I just carry half of my C.A.T. folding ramps.

Triton XT10-101

Quick Reply: ATV Trailer or Deck - need opinions