Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

2005 Polaris Trail Boss no power to starter

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 02:13 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Polaris Trail Boss no power to starter

I am working on a 2005 Trail Boss. Nopower coming out of ecm module. Both fusable links at battery check OK. Put in new Sure Power ECM330 and have same results. Have checked all switches and cleaned all electrical connections. Ordered a Haynes manual that cover 1998 - 2007 Polaris Models but wiring diagram not 100% correct. Barrowed another Polaris manual for other models and it is 75% match.
Can remove connector from ecm and jump power and it will turn over, tail lights work, head lights work and has intermitted spark. Ran shortly and lost spark. Thinking CDI but looking for advice.

Old 06-11-2012, 03:27 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Welcome to the forum! No power to starter, no power from ecm? Which one or both? Have you tested the starter solenoid or jumped it to see if starter turns over? Have you disconnected the limiter module under the front panel? If none of this helps best to get the correct manual with the wiring schematic that will give you the resistance specs on the stator,coil,etc that can help you track down problems instead of generic manuals or just throwing parts at it.Plus you can have a bad Shure power ecm module even though it may be brand new! I've replace multiple ecm modules on the same atvs plus others have posted that they have had multiple ecm replacement other than the original black Chinese ecm. Not sure about the 2005,but the 2009 Trail boss 330 ecm has a starter lock out function along with the fan control,charging,etc. OPT

Old 05-29-2020, 12:44 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Polaris trailboss330

I was trying to fix a fan issue, so I disconnected the harness from the ecm to the thermostat and from the fan motor while it was running. When I plugged them back in I must have switched them. Motor instantly died and now I have no power to anything. Turn key there’s no lights, no nothing. I have 12v from battery to solenoid and the fuseable links are good. I have 12v at each bigger red wire that plugs into the ecm. But nothing coming out that I can tell. Did I fry the ecm?? Please help