Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

2015 Highlifter Rzr 1000 Snorkel Shaft Backlash

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2016, 10:52 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2015 Highlifter Rzr 1000 Snorkel Shaft Backlash

Hello,

I hope with all your knowledge, OPT, you will be able to give me some advise/suggestions on setting the backlash on the snorkel shaft assembly. I am helping a buddy replace some bearings and we had to remove the snorkel shaft and other gears in the transmission to replace bearings. Now we are ready to put it back together and I hope you will be able to clarify some things. The service manual we have talks about turning the snorkel assembly nut out until there is zero play in the gears and there should be .005 clearance. I also read something about 7 turns out and tighten the set screw. What can you tell me about the proper way to set the backlash. Thanks in advance for your help.
/r
JD

Old 10-28-2016, 11:37 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Last one I worked on one was a 2009 800x2. It had zero back lash also and you had to turn the snorkel nut out 7 turns also, then check for any binding or stiff action of the shaft. If there was any then back up a tad on the nut and insert the the set screw in the closest notch on the snorkel tube that would line up with the set screw. Don't know if this helps on this newer model or not.

Old 10-28-2016, 12:45 PM
Trailblazer

OPT, it helps a lot. That ties into what I read about the 7 turns. I just wanted to at least get the warm fuzzies before we started putting thing back together. Thanks for the info and have a good weekend.

JD

Old 10-28-2016, 02:19 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Hope it goes back together with no problems.

Old 11-01-2016, 02:34 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks. I hope to start getting it back together this weekend. Still waiting on a couple of seals we had to order. I'll try and remember to let you know how it goes.

Old 11-06-2016, 08:29 AM
Trailblazer

Update on assembly and backlash concerns. We are almost ready to close the two halves back together but wanted to run something past you. We have the snorkel gear in and seated to the bearing and the pinion gear is installed. No regarding the 7 turns: when we put the snorkel gear in, we had to screw it all the way down and then install the pinion but it will not unscrew7 turns. We can only get it to unscrew maybe 1 1/2 turns and it turns very smooth at that point. We experimented with it by turning it in and out to see how the gear runs and each time it we had to just simply turn it out until the gears were smooth and free. Does this sound about right? There doesn't seem to be any play, and the gears are very smooth, with no sounds of binding at all. Just wanted to get one last opinion before we closed it up. Here is a pic of the front side of the snorkel shaft. Thanks, JD

Attached Thumbnails 2015 Highlifter Rzr 1000 Snorkel Shaft Backlash-rzr-snorkel-pic.jpg  
Old 11-06-2016, 08:36 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Main thing is that it's not binding. If you can only go turn and a half out,that may be what you have to live with if everything is done correctly.

Old 11-06-2016, 09:06 AM
Trailblazer

Sounds good. We are going to keeping testing with it and make sure before we put it back together. THanks for the input.

JD

Old 11-18-2016, 12:13 PM
Trailblazer

Got everything put back together and tested it out. All seems to be ok and no binding issues. This was not a bad project and if we did not have to wait on parts to come in, this would have been a good weekend job. I will say that if you don't have the snorkel shaft nut specialty tool, they you will have to make your own like we did. Other than that, no other special tools were needed. Thanks for the input.

JD

Old 11-18-2016, 01:31 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Glad you have it solved. A lot of people can make their own tools or alter existing tools to fit rather than buying dealer tools.