Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

How do get to the main jet on a 05 scrambler?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2005, 02:43 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do get to the main jet on a 05 scrambler?

I am putting a dynojet kit on my scrambler, I just did the needle jet. Now I have to do the main jet. How do you get to the main jet? Does the whole carb have to come off? I know it's at the bottome of the float, but how do you unscrew it?

Thanks for any help!!

Old 11-14-2005, 04:58 AM
Pro Rider

There is what looks like a big nut on the bottom of the carb it is behind that , Just lossen the carb clamps twist it to the side abit take the nut off and behind that is the mainjet, Use a stubby flat head screw driver unscrew the jet but watch because ther is a brass spacer that will come out with the jet .
Now put the spacer on your new jet and reverse the process.

This is what I do you may find it easier to take the carb off.

Old 11-14-2005, 03:18 PM
Range Rover

<--- Hates changing the main jet.

P.S. What Alpine said is correct. I installed some stainless steel allen wrench style cap screws to make my life easier. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-14-2005, 03:29 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I personally took the carb out of the boot.......so I could turn it upside down........I also used a 8mm(I think) nutdriver to get the jet out......remember the nut on the bottom of the carb will be metric too.....like a 14mm I think.......

Make darn sure you get the carb back in the boot though.......otherwise you'll suck in dirt....and loose your motor. Take your time......and use a flash light......

Shut the fuel off too......might save a little mess......

Old 11-14-2005, 10:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks all for the help, I will give it a whirl tonight

While we are on the subject, I just wanted to get some opinions on doing these types of performance alterations. I just bought the scrambler, maybe have 2 hours on it. I just put on a white bros. e series pipe, k&n filter and I am doing the jet kit. Will this have a dramatic effect on performance or is it money not well spent. I have had utility quads for years and never did any mods.

What performance differences should I expect?

Old 11-14-2005, 10:42 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

you should see some difference......in all ranges. I don't know what model you scrambler is(400 or 500).......I think clutching is where you'll really see those mods come alive.

Old 11-14-2005, 10:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have a 2006 500. How difficult/expensive would changing the clutch be?

Old 11-15-2005, 02:14 PM
Weekend Warrior

Where the heck is the fuel mixture srew on the carb? I looked for an hour on the removed carb and could not find one slotted screw for adjusment. I did find an allan screw at the bottom of the carb which looks like it is part of a clear discharge hose, is that the adjustment? When I called a Polaris service shop, they could not find it in the manual. Does anybody know? 2006 scrambler 500.

Old 11-15-2005, 02:35 PM
Pro Rider

on my 04.5 SP 600 it is on the underside in the front of the carb as it sits on the machine, however, it was covered with a plug that had to be drilled out because the federal gov. doesn't want us messing with it. that's why you can't find it. screw you are describing sounds like the bowl drain screw.

good luck

Old 11-15-2005, 02:36 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

The fuel screw is a screw(not sure where it is on your model)......but is usually on the gear shifter side.....of the carb. It is usually a phyllips screw, that is rather large....that you can usually turn by hand....not sure if your's is like that or not.......

As for the clutch........you don't actually change the clutch......you change the weights and springs inside of them......you will have to buy a clutch puller(which is a good tool to have anyways, if you plan to stick with this machine.....they are only about 25 bucks I think)........you might also need a clutch press tool, but I'm not sure on that one.

The springs(need 2 of them, one for front, and one for back)........they are about $20 each.......and you need 3 weights.......they are about $15 each.

mid page, springs and weights

Puller

make a new topic, if you are serious about the clutch mods.....many guys have done it, and will help you do it.......and will tell you which setup is best.......

Quick Reply: How do get to the main jet on a 05 scrambler?