Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Warn winch on my '06 Sportsman 800

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2005, 12:48 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warn winch on my '06 Sportsman 800

I just picked up my 800 and the dealer installed a Warn 2.5 winch. They just cut a hole in the front plastic for the winch to poke thru and when I put tension on the line it seems to pull down on the entire front plastics. I can see it in the hinges for the front box. I have a glacier plow on it and when it is all the way up and there is some tension on the line is when I see it. My questions are...is there a piece that should have replaced my plastics to mount the winch and should it be pulling like that, or did they install it wrong? I don't want to pull it apart to find nothing.

Old 11-16-2005, 01:05 AM
Pro Rider

there is not a piece to replace it, they cut it and thats what comes in the installation instructions from Polaris...

as far as pulling down on it, it mounts to a frame that is part of the ATV, you shouldn't see any movement in the winch area or plastic around it...it could flex alittle, if its not much I wouldn't worry about it

Old 11-16-2005, 01:24 AM
Pro Rider

I know what you mean about the cut plastic, they did that to my buddies. That would make me mad too. New quad, and looking rigged. I just got an '05 800 hunters edition. It comes with a factory mounted warn winch and that piece is molded with a hole. Looks much better. You should be able to order one for a hunters edition, if it bothers you. As for the flexing, I would look into that a little better, I don't have to tell you the last thing you want is the front to come off. I plan on upgrading all my accessible bolts. The factory uses self tapers, not a good idea in my opinion. I plan on putting nuts on the back of new grade 8 bolts. Just haven't got to it yet, working on a custom rear winch to take the place of the storage box. So many things to do and little time to do them. LOL!!!!

Old 11-16-2005, 10:38 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

my Dealer REMOVED my cover. there's no cutting involved. that front panel is designed to be removed to accept a winch. my Dealer installed a Warn3.0 and it looks just great!

if they try to cut the cover, how are you supposed-to be able to reach in and twist the **** on the side of the winch to release the cable allowing it to 'free-spool' out?

your install doesn't sound right to me.

~MT

Old 11-16-2005, 11:05 AM
Pro Rider

Most people who have the dealer install their winch don’t realize the winch kit comes with a template for cutting out that easily removable front plastic panel. Most dealers throw that panel away or are sitting on a stack of them because it’s just plain easier to eliminate it than to make the effort to cut it out like they’re supposed to. And they don’t give you that part of the instructions so you never realize they’ve taken a shortcut. I’ve never agreed with that practice because leaving the panel off exposes the radiator to possible stick damage around the winch. Although some would argue the machine might cool better with the plastic off, since it’s a solid panel and stays there if you don’t mount a winch I feel the extra cooling effect is negligible.

If you mount your own winch and use the template to cut the hole in the plastic panel you’ll quickly realize the template is wrong, unless they’ve changed it since my last installation. The cutout doesn’t allow room to operate the freespool **** on the left end of the winch so you have to extend the opening to allow access.

Even if that plastic panel is tight up against the fairlead there shouldn’t be enough flex in that winch mount to do what you describe. I’d take off that panel and inspect their mounting job. Make sure everything is tight where the winch mounts and around the front end. Give it all a good tug and twist and shake to see if anything is loose. If it’s all tight then enlarge the opening in that panel so it’s not resting against any part of the winch or fairlead, and make sure you have access to the freespool ****. We use a Roto Zip with a drill bit type rotary "blade" to cut the plastic and a file or rasp to clean up the cut.