Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Are there any products that will protect the plastic on an ATV

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 02:15 PM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are there any products that will protect the plastic on an ATV

Hello,

Before I hit the trails on my new ATV (when it finally arrives), would anyone know of a product that would protect the plastic? I'm talking about major scuff marks and deep scratches.

Any information you can provide me with would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Pete

Old 10-06-2008, 05:35 PM
Trailblazer

M.U.D.

Hides all the scratches!

Old 10-06-2008, 06:32 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ha! Thats funny wilburg....I was thinking just don't ride it. A lot of people do it...they just park it in their garage, throw a couple grand of mods on them, and stare at the beauty of them so they don't get scratched. Meanwhile, people like us are out there riding hard and just happy if the plastic doesn't get ripped off of them! LOL!

For real, though, Ironbear, I haven't seen anything that would do what you want. I use pledge furniture polish to keep the plastic looking shiny and it helps the mud to clean off easier, but nothing I know of prevents deep scratches besides not riding it. If somebody does have a product, well, too damn late cuz I done scratched mine all up and I'm looking for mud so I can cover them up!

Old 10-06-2008, 07:17 PM
Banned

LOL about not riding in. Believe me, I'm going to ride this machine, but I'm the type that likes to keep things in excellent condition.

I will try the furniture polish.

IronBear

Old 10-06-2008, 07:18 PM
Pro Rider

super dave osborne might still have some "Bullet Proof Paint" left over from his show on showtime............

Old 10-06-2008, 07:56 PM
Pro Rider

Deep scratches are aesy to avoid,I just watch where I go. If I think I'm going to tear something up I just won't go.Light scratches are different,they can't be avoided.As firehog stated pledge works pretty good and it kinda hides the light scratches.
I don't really have to worry about the minor scratches due to mine being camo. The wifes on the other hand shows everything.
I understand wanting to keep things in top shape because I'm also pretty picky.
Both of my machines get washed after every ride. I'm sure not many guys will detail their machines after every ride but I do, it's my bonding time with 'em...LOL.
With that being said I'm not affraid to ride and use them. I just hate to see them sit around all caked in crap.Besides if I keep 'em clean they're easier to inspect/work on. Oh and washing them after every ride is one more great excuse to drink beer under the shade tree!

Old 10-06-2008, 10:13 PM
Pro Rider

I sometimes spend more time cleaning after the ride than the ride itself. FireHog mentioned Pledge furniture polish. That stuff works better than anything I have ever heard of to keep it looking new. It gives everything on the machine a clean showriim look and can hide the deep scuffs as well. The good thing about pledge is that it leaves no sticky oily mess on your fenders. It claims to repell dust so you should not have any issue with yor atv turning brown in the first 10 seconds riding behind another person. Wow, I typed tis much on pledge. I think I've lost it!!!! Oh, It looks great on tires too!!!!!

Old 10-06-2008, 10:23 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: ncriderforks

I sometimes spend more time cleaning after the ride than the ride itself. FireHog mentioned Pledge furniture polish. That stuff works better than anything I have ever heard of to keep it looking new. It gives everything on the machine a clean showriim look and can hide the deep scuffs as well. The good thing about pledge is that it leaves no sticky oily mess on your fenders. It claims to repell dust so you should not have any issue with yor atv turning brown in the first 10 seconds riding behind another person. Wow, I typed tis much on pledge. I think I've lost it!!!! Oh, It looks great on tires too!!!!!</end quote></div>

I think Pledge should send you a case of polish for that! LMAO! And I agree, I know I spend more time washing them than I should. My wife loves the mud, especially because she doesn't have to clean it! I, on the other hand, hate to clean it off....it takes about a half rack of beer to get them clean, but it's usually worth it!

Old 10-07-2008, 01:36 AM
Pro Rider

Pledge is the way out. I use it liberally. The boy's before me are right. It will lessen the severity of the scratches and clean up from riding is made easier. You could go a little radical.....check this site and in the video section click on "ATV Body Guard". It would be easier to touch up the metal if scratched. The only way to fix deep scratches in plastic is to strategically place a neat decal on the scrape or replace the plastic. Just replaced my plastic that was scratched from a little rollover on my 2007 X2 500 camo....about 700.00 bucks worth. Ouch when I rolled and again with the pull of the wallet. Glad I did it though....there would of been to many decals.

http://www.purepolaris.com/lan...atv(polarispgacatalog)

Old 10-07-2008, 01:53 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: IronBear

Hello,
Before I hit the trails on my new ATV (when it finally arrives), would anyone know of a product that would protect the plastic? I'm talking about major scuff marks and deep scratches.

Any information you can provide me with would be much appreciated.
Thank you.

Pete</end quote></div>

One key feature for having your ATV looking new for along time to come...is how and with what you wash it. If the plastic has a product that protects it...and allows the mud and other stuff to wash off easy...then that will help it look new. Might take a look at this product: X-Tream Clean XTC

Now...if you are really serious...you might try some of this 3M product.
Scotchgard Paint Protection Film

Now of course...you will have to do a "custom" install.

Hope this helps...

biz
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Are there any products that will protect the plastic on an ATV