Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Ye Olde stator ohms confusion...

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 06:37 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ye Olde stator ohms confusion...

I have a spark, but I wouldnt call it great... but its blue. And she wont start... So I tested the stator...

Red and Green : 3.5 ohms
black/red and green : 0
black/red and red : 0

Trigger coil right on the money. Does this mean the stator is bad? If so why a spark? Can this be causing it to not start? AND- with the ohms meter my book does not show a range... just one number. When is it too far out of range? Im assuming the other 2 readings should have shown something... how far out of range would something have to be to be bad?

Old 02-05-2009, 07:17 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: apopka_ed

I have a spark, but I wouldnt call it great... but its blue. And she wont start... So I tested the stator...

Red and Green : 3.5 ohms

black/red and green : 0

black/red and red : 0

Trigger coil right on the money. Does this mean the stator is bad? If so why a spark? Can this be causing it to not start? AND- with the ohms meter my book does not show a range... just one number. When is it too far out of range? Im assuming the other 2 readings should have shown something... how far out of range would something have to be to be bad?</end quote></div>

Allowable range + or- 20% of any given reading. Trigger coil can be good,but charge coil can be bad and cause problems. If havent done so remove flywheel nut and see if key may have sheared causing flywheel to move on shaft,throwing out of time.

Old 02-05-2009, 07:46 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Magnets are intact and not cracked and the key is in place. Guess I'll try the repair kit which is cheaper than the whole shebang! How can it have a spark though? Id think with #'s like that it would have no spark? Thanks OPT as always...